Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: difficult and expensive to get 4x5 back for Toyo half-plate field camera??

Re: difficult and expensive to get 4x5 back for Toyo half-plate field camera??

Quote Originally Posted by jackpie View Post
    I miss Frank.

When does his ban expire?
    I thought that Frank 'banned himself'............I may be wrong however

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by dimento View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of investing in the above mentioned camera, the seller hasn't understood my questions, and I suspect the camera doesn't come with a 4x5 back, I was just wondering if anyone has got one, and how difficult or expensive it might have been to acquire a 4x5 back?

I have no fabrication skills, but could potentially get someone to make something, but it wouldn't be my first choice, thanks.
    fyi, eBay seller 'tokyophoto' regularly stocks Cameras and accessories such as what you're after

hope that this helps

regards

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Sweet, they are great cameras and lightweight. It's a cool camera because it has options for larger formats in the future including half plate, 5x7 and whole plate.
    can you tell me from experience which 5x7 back will fit? only the original one?

No firsthand experience as I don't have a 5x7 back for mine, only 4x5, half and whole plate backs.

I do know that one sold recently on eBay with a Plaubel back fitted:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOYO-METAL-FI...d3296c6&_uhb=1

The eBay seller tokyophoto also sells custom made wooden backs like this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyo-Field-4-...196d67c&_uhb=1

thank you for the informative and lightning fast post

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    The eBay seller tokyophoto also sells custom made wooden backs like this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyo-Field-4-...196d67c&_uhb=1
    I have one of these 5x7 backs. It's works ok but the wood isn't really finished, and the style doesn't match the camera. I miss having a bail arm too.

I've gone back to using the original half-plate back which is fantastic but requires unique half plate film holders. These are so much more compact than regular 5x7 holders and make a great light weight field setup if you can live with half plate b&w film.

@ jackpie, I could live with the format, but can I buy this film over here in Europe as well?

Yes you can get half plate b&w film in europe.

http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php...duct&info=1670