Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallery/studio insurance?

Gallery/studio insurance?

For those of you who maintain a public space--a gallery or studio--what sort of insurance do you carry? How much are you paying? Any recommended companies?

--Darin

Re: Gallery/studio insurance?

I'm paying about $750. a year for one million in liability coverage and for $25,000 coverage of contents. The owner of the building covers fire and other damage. I wouldn't recommend my company and don't get me started on insurance companies, we would be getting into politics.
    Thad Gerheim

We pay $360.00 a year,the building owner takes care fire and flood insurance. We recently just installed severance cameras and a alarm system.

If you are a PPofA (Professional Photographer's of America) member, they include equipment insurance up to $15,000.00 with the member ship with greater amounts available. I don't know about the details on the other liability insurances, health, etc., but you should be able to find it through their website. Great organization.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Tim this looks good. As I will be taking in non-paying friends (donations accepted) to my private darkroom and studio, I hope PPofA can cover that. I don't want to start a business and charge money for anything done in the space. But I also want to be covered. I used to have a1 Million dollar umbrella policy, but my retirement income is too low to afford this. I will check again!

Of course I have standard condo coverage with equipment riders and hope by being a 'starving artist' I can avoid the business of business. (I have lost weight!)

This also coincides with Ilford's new international darkroom list, that many seem unaware of. Still a secret, I think...

Damn the lawyers!

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    If you are a PPofA (Professional Photographer's of America) member, they include equipment insurance up to $15,000.00 with the member ship with greater amounts available. I don't know about the details on the other liability insurances, health, etc., but you should be able to find it through their website. Great organization.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonG View Post
    We pay $360.00 a year,the building owner takes care fire and flood insurance. We recently just installed severance cameras and a alarm system.
    Wow--that's a great price. What insurer do you use?

--Darin

multiplex

make sure if you take your equipment out of your studio
    you get a marine "floater" so your stuff will continue to be insured/

Randy,

The way it was explained to me when I re-joined after about 15 years was:

Membership (USA only) includes $15,000 coverage on gear at any location or in transit (loss due to fire, theft of breakage worldwide, off premises on on location.). (The gear is not individually listed, so it can "float" from one kit to another if your need it too. You are not tied to just your Nikon gear or your large format gear, etc. You can suffer a loss on any gear you own and file the claim on that for replacement.)

For more extensive coverage, they work closely with another carrier which handles more extensive equipment and other types of coverages including some of the general liabilities liabilities through the extended PhotoCare plus plans.

I think errors and omissions, lost film or cards, and possibly basic liability might be in there as well but I am absolutely unsure on that.

PPofA also has a legal arm that goes to bat for members, particularly for copyright issues pretty much as a membership perk.

They also have various health plans through their associated companies.

Sorry my memory is so poor, but I haven't looked at the data in several months, so it is vague.

For those who are not familiar, PPofA is also huge on education, although that is mostly digital related in this era. Membership is less that $350.00 per year and can be paid in monthly installments, so it is quite thrifty when you combine all the other benefits as well as the insurance.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Wow--that's a great price. What insurer do you use?

--Darin
    We go thru State Farm..

I will most likely sign up in the new year. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Randy,

The way it was explained to me when I re-joined after about 15 years was:

Membership (USA only) includes $15,000 coverage on gear at any location or in transit (loss due to fire, theft of breakage worldwide, off premises on on location.). (The gear is not individually listed, so it can "float" from one kit to another if your need it too. You are not tied to just your Nikon gear or your large format gear, etc. You can suffer a loss on any gear you own and file the claim on that for replacement.)

For more extensive coverage, they work closely with another carrier which handles more extensive equipment and other types of coverages including some of the general liabilities liabilities through the extended PhotoCare plus plans.

I think errors and omissions, lost film or cards, and possibly basic liability might be in there as well but I am absolutely unsure on that.

PPofA also has a legal arm that goes to bat for members, particularly for copyright issues pretty much as a membership perk.

They also have various health plans through their associated companies.

Sorry my memory is so poor, but I haven't looked at the data in several months, so it is vague.

For those who are not familiar, PPofA is also huge on education, although that is mostly digital related in this era. Membership is less that $350.00 per year and can be paid in monthly installments, so it is quite thrifty when you combine all the other benefits as well as the insurance.