Thread: Print Pricing: comment on forum interaction and moderation

Print Pricing: comment on forum interaction and moderation

The recently closed thread on Print Pricing reminded me of a quote from The Great Gatsby.

“They were careless people, Tom and Daisy- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.”

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Print Pricing: comment on forum interaction and moderation

I was following that same thread. I wonder if the rules here differentiate between "discourteous" to ideas vs being discourteous to people. I don't know how you can be discourteous to an idea but yet the phrases "crap" and "bulls*t" in that thread clearly referred to ideas, not people. Another poster (a former moderator) said early on that the content of a previous post was "frankly pretty worthless." Perhaps a bit dismissive but still clearly talking about ideas, not people. (He did later suggest, in the only discourtesy to a person I could find in that thread, that previous posters were acting like "silverback male gorillas"--but I don't think this is why the thread was locked).

So no more discourtesy to ideas?

--Darin

I think this forum is a valuable resource. Sometimes one (Like me) forgets that it is provided at N/C at others expense. I am as guilty of occassional forgetting this-as I surmise are others- for that I apologize. I do think that a certain level of disagreement is "normal" on any forum.

For me having less time to dwell here over the last two years has been a positive experience,
    I have been able to do a lot more photography, and explore welding, metal work and get married @49 y/o.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    ...another poster...said early on that the content of a previous post was "frankly pretty worthless."...
    The entire thread, which hashed over a "topic" previously covered ad nauseum and raised a "question" that cannot be objectively answered, was pretty worthless. The law of supply and demand governs things like how much prints sell for. All attempts to repeal it through "discussion" are doomed to be controversial, antagonistic and, ultimately, to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    ...He did later suggest, in the only discourtesy to a person I could find in that thread, that previous posters were acting like "silverback male gorillas"...
    That was an accurate observation, not a discourtesy to persons. Such behavior is typical of this forum's member demographic when offered a provocative incitement, which the thread's title and its original poster's wording amply provided.

Posts by the originator of that thread often result in strong negative reactions here. I've so far watched bemusedly, but am beginning to think that increasing my extremely small "Ignore" list by one member might be beneficial.

I heard that Gorillas have very a small penis. Was that the insult ?

I think Gorillas are great.