Page 630 of 841 FirstFirst ... 130530580620628629630631632640680730 ... LastLast
Results 6,291 to 6,300 of 8406

Thread: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Re: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Abandoned Concrete Plant, Portland...
    I like that first one. The second reminds me of some internet trivia, Godwin's Law. Back in the early days of online discussions, Mike Godwin observed the longer a discussion continues no matter the subject the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Adolf Hitler approaches 1. And soon after it was a 'known rule' of online discussion that the first person to utter the word 'Nazi' or reference to automatically loses the argument!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I like that first one. The second reminds me of some internet trivia, Godwin's Law. Back in the early days of online discussions, Mike Godwin observed the longer a discussion continues no matter the subject the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Adolf Hitler approaches 1. And soon after it was a 'known rule' of online discussion that the first person to utter the word 'Nazi' or reference to automatically loses the argument!
    I take your point tuco, and agree that the description is overly used and often hyperbolic.
    That said, there are many, many groups active in the United States (Aryan Brotherhood, Identity Evropa, Hammerskins, Patriot Front, Volksfront...) that are rightly described as, if not literal, historical Nazis, than Neo-Nazis, in that they share a comparable worldview, and have similar aspirations as did the original Nazis. The Pacific NW has long been rife with these groups, and they haven't gone away. Not long ago, in fact, I was disturbed to learn that White Aryan Resistance member Kyle Brewster, who was one of the murderers of Mulugeta Seraw here in Portland in 1988, is out of prison and now showing up at Proud Boy rallies.
    Anyway though, I'm just a humble photographer, one who is interested in a lot of things: politics, graffiti, evidence, human psychology, and in the picture above, corresponding forms; I liked how the lights from the bridge seemed to echo the railings. In my mind, the Nazi bit added some mystery; I wondered who wrote it, and why.
    Of course I have opinions about stuff, but to think that I'm proselytizing with my pictures would be an error.
    So ends my rant. I hope you take it in the right spirit, which is that of the camaraderie we share as photographers curious about the world.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I take your point tuco, and agree that the description is overly used and often hyperbolic. ... So ends my rant. I hope you take it in the right spirit, which is that of the camaraderie we share as photographers curious about the world.
    I take it okay, no problem. On the other hand, remember this guy? I listen to what he had to say. Would you say it is such a foregone conclusion that America needs to convert to Communism now - immediately - that no one even needs mention it in the mainstream media as a radical idea at all? It's common core group think?

And anyone opposing that political theory is portrayed as the villain by the media when the two sides meet in lieu of saying something like 'two radical groups collied', for instance. In the bell curve of America, I wonder, how many standard deviations to the left of the median that guy is.

Antifa Showing Their Colors
    by tuco, on Flickr
    Last edited by tuco; 8-Sep-2021 at 23:02. Reason: sp

The art of compromise. I think it is a lost art. To the detriment of society.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Coastal California. Pentax 67II, 200mm SMC Pentax 67.

Thomas

Mohammad Reza Alvandi ALVANDI Camera's Avatar

Iran, Panoral 45 camera, Schneider Super Angulon 90/5.6, Hoya red filter, Ilford Pan 100, 6x12 roll film

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I take it okay, no problem. On the other hand, remember this guy? I listen to what he had to say. Would you say it is such a foregone conclusion that America needs to convert to Communism now - immediately - that no one even needs mention it in the mainstream media as a radical idea at all? It's common core group think?

And anyone opposing that political theory is portrayed as the villain by the media when the two sides meet in lieu of saying something like 'two radical groups collied', for instance. In the bell curve of America, I wonder, how many standard deviations to the left of the median that guy is.
    He's a lot of deviations to the left. But I think generalizations ("Antifa Showing Their Colors") are to be guarded against. I mean, to listen to certain quarters of what I'd classify as "main-stream media," anyone who identifies as an anti-fascist, or supports BLM, or heck, is just a run of the mill Democrat, is now a "radical," a Communist even, which is as absurd as calling all conservatives fascists or Nazis. I've participated in a fair amount of protests here in Portland over the last few years, and the vast majority of people there are just engaged citizens who want a better America. Depending on your media diet, you might not believe that, but it's true. Shoot man, I'm a middle aged father of three, and a veteran, and I'm not the only one that would fit that category that's out there.

I'm not sure what else to say (and as I type, I'm wondering if we're destined to get booted from the forum if we go much farther); I know we're all wringing our hands about where we are and where we're going. On my bad days, I'm sure that the ship is going down, and I start thinking about my cave in the desert. More often though, I think about all my old Navy buddies scattered all over the country, many of whom are far on the other side of the political divide from me, and yet we still talk regularly, and treat one another with respect, even if we agree on practically nothing.

Anyway, that's it from me. Here's a picture of a pretty ship:
    Along the Waterfront, Portland by Austin Granger, on Flickr

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Pigeon Point Light Station

For a little history see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_Point_Lighthouse

Pentax 67II.

Thomas

Stacks of hay bales near Twin Falls, Idaho by Mark Phillips, on Flickr

Horseman sw612 with Rodenstock Apo-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5 on Delta 100.

Do not remember if I sent these before.
    Very old negatives. YashicaMat, HP5 Film.