Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portraits with Impossible 8x10

Portraits with Impossible 8x10

Hi,

I will be shooting some portraits with Impossible 8x10. I have read some user experiences and seen some photo's. I want to know if there are any tips while using the film.
    I will be shooting indoors using two Softboxes to light the subject. I have read that the iso should be between 800 and 1000 instead of 640. Is this correct to get the best results?
    I will not going to attempt to peel the photo apart but I plan to use a bag and silica to dry the film more quickly.

Any thoughts on the coloring of the film whle drying? I will be using the black and white film. I bought it in juli 2013.

Thanks in advance.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

Re: Portraits with Impossible 8x10

Sorry Dakotah Jackson it is not meant to be a personal attack :-) but I thought that I would get a reaction like this. Let me make it clear. I do not want a discussion on the quality of impossible film. I want te get some advice, pointers or tips on how to use it the first time. If you don't want to contribute in a helpful manner please stay out. Get away and don't read anything that is posted here. I am NOT interested in a discussion. If you don't like the film don't use it!

Kind regards,

Peter

this thread might be of some help.

Touchy touchy! I don't think Dakotah's innocent little remark was actually an ATTACK, so much as a wry observation. If it isn't helpful to you, just disregard it right?

Try lightening up a little and maybe you'll find someone willing to help you out.

Kind Regards - Cletus

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    If it is impossible, how can you use it?
    I thought the same thing. Maybe should just be called, "Difficult to Use 8x10"

Maybe?

Hopefully this will be of more use...

Shot this color shade beta at 320iso the color shade is rated at 400.

Valencia by PeteTsai, on Flickr

This is a sheet of Silver Shade Shot in China at the end of our assignment.
    From what I remember I also rated the silver shade a bit lower, I think 400 even though it is rated at 640 but it could have been box rated. I know for sure I have never shot it above its rating, and I've processed over 40 sheets of the silver shade.

The Team by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Be prepared to clean the rollers well after each sheet, this reagent from IP is much more plentiful and messy as compared to the polaroid sheets I've used. Keep it in the dark/low light until its fully finished processing. I Generally leave it in the tray for 5 minutes before opening. The film also felt to me to have a more limited dynamic range as compared to the 809 and 804 I've used.

Hope this helps...

Not an expert but I'm working my way through my first box. I have been ratiing it at ISO 400 with strobes.

I tried peeling two sheets and got total and immediate destruction of the image. So I've put a couple of them into the bags to dry although honestly the RH in my darkroom right now is hovering aroung 20% so I'd probably be better to leave 'em out.

Mine seem to have color shifted a bit but my box was also made in October 2012 so it's a bit on the old side.

Self portrait on Impossible 8x10 by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Thanks for the tips. So iso 400 when using strobes? Thanks. I will read the links a little later.

About the touchy feely part from my side. Just wanted things to be clear thats all. :-) To many topics gone bad because people seem to need to put Impossible down or something. Don't want to go there this time :-)

In the 10 things you should know pamphlet it says that flash slows the effective ASA. It doesn't provide any numbers but I must have gotten ISO 400 from somewhere.

I like the Impossible 8x10 as it is and I know they are working on improving the product (that is why the 8x10 is unavailable right now). I'll take that any day over paying 2-3x the price for expired Polaroid 809 that may not even work anymore.