Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Angle Mirror

Right Angle Mirror

I would like to have a right angle device to use on my view camera lenses for several reasons. 90* prisms were common when process cameras were in wide use, however, they are too heavy for my lenses and shutters. There have been novelty "spy lenses" available for small cameras for years but they are not large enough for my lenses and I am skeptical of the quality of their mirrors.

I am now making a right angle mirror box from 3/16" aircraft plywood to the same proportions as a Kodak prism (recently sold to anther member). Attached are some photos of my unfinished wood butchery. I will use a 67mm to 95mm step-up ring to attach to the two 67mm thread lenses I intend to use. The ring will be secured to the box by clips that can be loosened and tightened to adjust to the desired angle. I have purchased a high quality 100mm circular front surface mirror from the Surplus Shed that I will glue in the box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0717.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	106368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0718.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	106370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0719.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	106371

Re: Right Angle Mirror

I didn't know they still made planes out of wood
    I could think of a couple good uses for this.
    What kind of things are you going to shoot with it?

Some model planes are still made of wood. I bought the plywood in a hooby shop. I want it to photograph art forms in nature a la Karl Blossfeldt in the studio and in the field. This would enable me to photograph straight down with the camera horizontal. Could be used pointing up for astro photography and at any angle out the window or off the roof of a tall building.

The negative from these applications would have to be flopped in the enlarger to print in the correct orientation, however, direct positive prints made in the camera with materials like Ilford positive paper would be correct.

Not sure if it matters but I checked both the Linhof and the Wista Reflex Focusing Attachments that we have in stock and the mirrors are trapezoids which makes me think that a round mirror may not fully show all the corners.

Be sure you get a surface plated mirror.

I have a nice round first surface mirror from the Surplus Shed. It should be big enough, but if it is not I will cut one to fit the full size of the box. The mirrors in reflex viewers are trapazoidal, but I think that is because they have to reflect the image projected on the rectangular ground glass.

Neal,

I like the idea of reversing the image so that one can shoot direct positives.

Asher

Check e-bay for Spiritone. They sold a right angle attachment in the '80s I think.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Here's my completed right angle mirror attachment. I have had a chance to mount it on the 8X10 camera with two different lenses, a 250mm and a 450mm, which both have a 67mm filter thread. I don't see any evidence of cut-off or fall-off on the ground glass with either of these lenses at close-up distances (my main interest) or at infinity and the ground glass image is very bright and sharp. The image is, of course, reversed.

I am using a 67mm to 95mm step-up ring held in place by clips made from TV cable clips. The clips are mounted with 4-40 screws and blind nuts that came in a set from the hobby store. Then I use a 67mm polar filter ring with the filter removed to provide free rotation of the installed mirror. The whole rig weighs about 6 0z., making it quite practical for mounting on modern shuttered lenses.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0750.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	106756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0751.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	106757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0752.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	106758