Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

Re: How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I'm really liking this winter and our abundance of snow. Just picked up a 1997 ski-doo formula3 600 triple to get me more places than my feet can take me in the snow. I'll tow a sled with camera gear all sorts of places.
    Attachment 107708
    Was that taken at your place or the seller of the snow mobiles? Asking because, I might suggest that some money be put into that porch roof real soon

Nice machine though.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Was that taken at your place or the seller of the snow mobiles? Asking because, I might suggest that some money be put into that porch roof real soon

Nice machine though.
    I'm guessing that's an abandoned house. Man, I wish we'd get some snow in DC. We had a couple inches and the locals carry on like we had a STORM! There are some school districts that have announced they'll be closed on Monday.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    I'm guessing that's an abandoned house. Man, I wish we'd get some snow in DC. We had a couple inches and the locals carry on like we had a STORM! There are some school districts that have announced they'll be closed on Monday.
    Wow that's sad... Haha

Yea, but you never know, I didn't want to assume this poster could just be at his cabin, or that's his house and I didn't wants to be totally insulting. Not everyone is fortunate to have a relatively new place to live, nor does everyone want to, some are happy with less house and more film

Heck some are happy just to have a roof and some firewood (and shoes).

Anyway I'm staring to learn this winter to just deal with the weather.

I am also learning why some don't like metal cameras, they way to easily attract humidify when cold and go into warmer climates, I have to wait like 6 hours after a shoot just to open my pelican case to take out my film holders because the darn camera gets all steamy just opening the lid.

But I like how sturdy it is, and how it easily locks to 0 marks without a fuss. But I do like the appeal of the Chaminix 45N-2 or 45F-1 heck it's so light I've considered the 57N-1 with 4x5 reducing back for landscapes that means a heck of a lot more bellows draw and still lighter than my current toyo45a (plus the ability to shoot 5x7 of course).

Anyway it's all a dream, right now I'm just focused on trying to be a good photographer who doesn't lose his camera to Mother Nature (or his fingers/toes to frostbite).

That's my place.. It's an unused house on my property. My real house is behind it and you can see the peak near the cottage's chimney, and my garage is off to the right. I like old stuff; old cameras, old cars, old guns, but I lack appreciation for living in old houses!

I keep the old house around to photograph. eg.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/11428259765/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/8356646440/

Photographically, and snowy landscapily, I shoot a Pentax 645N with a 35mm SMC-A manual focus lens. I can handhold to at least 1/8 sec and get critically sharp frames (not every frame, but enough of them) or use a Leki pole with a 1/4-20 thread under a knob for better support, when out XC skiing or snowshoeing.

Tripods in the snow kinda suck, as does blowing snow and film holders and laying stuff for LF out in the snow, breathing on a cold ground glass and frost forming, etc.

I do enjoy my 645Nii as well but when out in the cold for long periods I actually prefer to pack a folding camera or my Rollei as there is no need to worry about batteries. Both my Billy Record III and my Rollei K4B seem to handle the cold quite well.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I'm really liking this winter and our abundance of snow. Just picked up a 1997 ski-doo formula3 600 triple to get me more places than my feet can take me in the snow. I'll tow a sled with camera gear all sorts of places.
    Attachment 107708
    Looks pretty nice for a 17 year old sled.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water