Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I convert Fotoman 624 Pan Camera for makro use.

Question How can I convert Fotoman 624 Pan Camera for makro use.

I have a Fotoman 624 camera with a Schneider Super Symmar Lens 5.6/110 lens. Am wanting to use this camera in a makro mode also. I can get spacers for camera from Fotoman yet may require many, plus costs, to get closer . Even then I don't think that I can get close enough - within few cms. Possibility has been raised of using a 35mm rail or bellows system. Am seeking any advice on this e.g. the lens has a focusing mount and assume will have to find rail/bellows onto which the fm and lens can be attached. Seeking any advice on possibilities of this, bellows or rails that could be used, and whether I may need some sort of adapter(s) to mount lens/fm and camera body to rail system. ( All a bit out of my depth at moment so seeking some advice) Thanks.

Lachlan 717

Re: How can I convert Fotoman 624 Pan Camera for makro use.

The spacers will not be a great option, IMO. The helical focus system will become less and less useful as you get closer. If you're not locked into the Fotoman, then something like an Ebony or a Shen Hao 6x24 (with 310mm bellows) would be a much better/easier option for this project.

If you are already committed to the Fotoman, you might have to consider having a custom bellow system made with a rear plate that will screw into the body, and somehow mount it all on a rail.

Either way, if you are going to go down this path, there are better options for the lens. The SSXL isn't the ideal macro lens. Perhaps consider some of the dedicated 120mm macro lenses?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    The spacers will not be a great option, IMO. The helical focus system will become less and less useful as you get closer. If you're not locked into the Fotoman, then something like an Ebony or a Shen Hao 6x24 (with 310mm bellows) would be a much better/easier option for this project.

If you are already committed to the Fotoman, you might have to consider having a custom bellow system made with a rear plate that will screw into the body, and somehow mount it all on a rail.

Either way, if you are going to go down this path, there are better options for the lens. The SSXL isn't the ideal macro lens. Perhaps consider some of the dedicated 120mm macro lenses?

Thanks Lachlan for your thoughtful comments. I have been photographing terrariums with a Hasselblad CM 500 and an extension tube - work currently being exhibited here in Australia - and the results has been somewhat dreamy with the extension tube creating narrow depth of field and blurring in foreground and background. I am wanting a similar result in panoramic so may go with a custom bellow system. Happy to go with quirks of lens rather than totally clear macro images. So, thanks for your comments. Much appreciated!

How do you want to see what is in focus with this camera?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by DazrAus View Post
    Thanks Lachlan for your thoughtful comments. I have been photographing terrariums with a Hasselblad CM 500 and an extension tube - work currently being exhibited here in Australia - and the results has been somewhat dreamy with the extension tube creating narrow depth of field and blurring in foreground and background. I am wanting a similar result in panoramic so may go with a custom bellow system. Happy to go with quirks of lens rather than totally clear macro images. So, thanks for your comments. Much appreciated!
    Where in Australia? I might be able to show you the Shen Hao 617 if you're not too far off the track!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Consider a rectangular custom extension that fits between the body and the lens cone. It would attach with four extra long lens cone fasteners.

Wood would be an adequate material.

Hi Lachlan I am in Castlemaine, Victoria.

Thank you - an interesting option!

With focusing ring still attached to lens - am happy to go with a narrow depth of field as may result - not sure of finished results ultimately with the specific lens being used for macro.