Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Vestal

Re: David Vestal Passes

Thank you Kirk. Over the last few years David has spent time with us in Santa Fe. He would talk about living in New Mexico and some of the world he did here. We never did find the old house he lived in, but we a had a fun time looking for it. Dinners at the house were always fun, you never knew what he was going to say. It was either some thing about photography or art or maybe about his days being a dancer, yes a ballet dancer. And that was very short lived. In the next few days I will sit down with one of his books and a glass of Port and think of days past.

Jan

Re: David Vestal

Merged with existing thread.

A quiet presence, never afraid to give his opinion. He enjoyed teaching and mixed it with subtle humor. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    "David Vestal passed away this week at home in Bethlehem, Connecticut. Born in Menlo Park, California in 1924, Vestal studied painting at the Art Institute of Chicago before becoming involved in photography in the late 1940s through the Photo League in New York. Rather than working in photographic essays like many of his New York School contemporaries, Vestal captured singular moments of life in the city through his emotive and atmospheric images—a lone figure passing along a snowy sidewalk, a twilight drive over the George Washington Bridge, or the bustling traffic in Flatiron Square at night.

"Vestal received two John Simon Guggenheim Fellowships in photography in 1966 and 1973. He wrote extensively for various photography publications, and published two classic books on photographic craft and printing: The Craft of Photography, 1975, and The Art of Black-and-White Enlarging, 1984. A lifelong educator, his illustrious teaching career included positions at Parsons School of Design, the School of Visual Arts, and Pratt Institute, as well as numerous lectures and workshops around the country. His work is included in such notable public collections as the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and the Art Institute of Chicago."

http://www.robertmann.com/news/main.html
    Sad to hear.
    I always appreciated his writing -- always practical, no B.S.
    I never liked his photographs, but if he did then that all that matters.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Dave Karp

When I was trying to find my way of seeing, I liked to read some of his articles. So many had the theme "there is no single right way." I was hearing about a lot of "rules" back then. His words helped me keep what I was hearing in perspective. That was very help full to me.

His column in Popular Photography in the 1970's was a major influence on my photographic vision and experience.

In 1991, I had the pleasure of doing a workshop with him at Peters Valley. He started the session by having each student present a small collection of past work. I put some prints on the rack that I was especially proud of; my favorite was a portrait of a middle-aged man dressed in some kind of nautical costume. He looked at it for a few minutes, and then in his typically quiet voice, said 'technically perfect, but pictorially empty'. I initially felt like I had a bulls-eye painted on my t-shirt and he had just hit it dead-center with a spear, but as the workshop went forward, I came to appreciate how right he was, and that while technical quality is important, good photographs also tell a story.

He was a great photographer and teacher, and a really nice guy. We will miss him.

That's a camera?

I really enjoyed reading his columns. His books: "Craft of Photography" and "Art of Black and White Enlarging" (I think) are terrific books that provided really clear thoughts on camera and darkroom practice. I hope that someone who knows his writings well could collect a "best of" for publication.

I fell like an orphan....

David Vestal was the best teacher of photography that I've ever had. I took a workshop with him in Maine in 1985 and the lessons have stayed with me ever since.
    I would read his columns in later years and, as always, be struck by his wisdom... the world is a smaller place today, folks.

Re: David Vestal Passes

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    Thank you Kirk. Over the last few years David has spent time with us in Santa Fe. He would talk about living in New Mexico and some of the world he did here. We never did find the old house he lived in, but we a had a fun time looking for it. Dinners at the house were always fun, you never knew what he was going to say. It was either some thing about photography or art or maybe about his days being a dancer, yes a ballet dancer. And that was very short lived. In the next few days I will sit down with one of his books and a glass of Port and think of days past.

Jan
    A memorable friend indeed. Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"