Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock stops production of several lenses

Re: Rodenstock stops production of several lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Ever since I joined this forum, I have encouraged anyone who came asking about lenses to buy new if they had the money. Others pile onto the threads saying it's stupid to buy new lenses when you can buy excellent condition used lenses for a fraction of the price. Well, if no one buys new lenses, Rodenstock will stop making them, along with Schneider, Fuji, Nikon..... and the dozens of other manufacturers who have already quit. It's not that I personally mind buying used, because personally I never had the money to buy the lenses new. But someone has to, and LF photographers in general are not as poor as I am. I see people spending thousands of $$ on tripods, backpacks, accessories, JOBO gear, but trawling eBay for a bargain on a lens.
    I've bought 2 brand new LF lenses, from Reinhold. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    I have not seen any marketing for Rodenstock lenses for a long time. If you don't invest in marketing, you aren't going to sell many lenses. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know that any of the existing manufacturers are doing any advertising.
    You must not read Shutterbug, Outdoor Photography, Pop Photo, Nature, etc. We have ads running in these magazines regularly for the past several years and many include Rodenstock lenses. Alos you were not at WPPI, Photo Plus, PMA, CES. Lenses have also been there for the past few years.

In 1959 there were 50,000 large format and 5 Million 35mm photographers. Today, there are 150 LF and 5,000 35mm photographers.
    Like most statistics, I just made up 92% of these. But I bet I'm not far off.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    In 1959 there were 50,000 large format and 5 Million 35mm photographers. Today, there are 150 LF and 5,000 35mm photographers.
    Like most statistics, I just made up 92% of these. But I bet I'm not far off.
    If you count hipsters, there are probably 5,000 35mm photogs in my city alone. And if there aren't 150 lf-ers, I'd be surprised. I just made up those statistics also.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    So what companies are now left in the world manufacturing LF lenses?

Did I read that Fuji still makes them but does not export them? If so, maybe they could corner what is left of the market.
    Schneider still seems to be at it. And as far as I can tell some of their and Rodenstock's newer "digital" lenses will cover large formats.

True, Schneider still makes some, although they reduced their offerings, too. There was an earlier thread on this:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...able-LF-lenses

And yes, some of the "digital" lenses can be used for 4x5 or smaller - I use a 180mm Apo-Sironar digital on my 4x5. That approach does not work for 5x7, 8x10, or larger, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    So what companies are now left in the world manufacturing LF lenses?

Did I read that Fuji still makes them but does not export them? If so, maybe they could corner what is left of the market.
    This thread reports the ceasing of production of Fujinons for large format: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s+discontinued

Badger still shows several several Fujinons on their website but indicates they are all "special order".

David

So does this leave Cooke as the only remaining manufacturer of LF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Greenhalgh View Post
    No - Schneider and Rodenstock still make a few, just not that many any more. These would be the "analog" lenses still in production:
    Rodenstock: Apo-Sironar S 135, 150, 210mm
    Schneider: Super-Symmar XL 80, 110, 150, 210mm; Apo-Symmar L 120, 150, 180, 210, 300mm; Super-Angulon XL 58, 72, 90mm; Tele-Xenar 250mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Greenhalgh View Post
    Cooke? Who's that? Their product slate, if they're still actually making lenses and not just selling off stock, contains two very expensive and highly LF specialized lenses. Give us a break. Compared to Schneider they're uncommitted dabblers.