Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Galleries that maintain a permanent collection

Re: Galleries that maintain a permanent collection

I'd say, that unless you're already collectable, the work won't end up with high end gallery's permanent collections (i'm not sure who you are behind 'Iluvmyviewcam'... you could be George Tice.. and then I'd say you'd stand a pretty good chance of having it collected ). Most galleries have no shortage of people wanting to give them work.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    Thanks!

I was thinking of seeing if they had an interest in accepting some of my work as a donation if they do not have plans to put it up for sale but keep it in their collection.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You are not thinking like a gallery owner.
    Sure I know galleries sell pix for a living. But I am looking to donate for a different reason. If the gallery does not collect and keep a separate collection that is permanent...like a museum...I wont donate. I'm not interested in selling prints, I'm interested in placing prints in collections that I would like my work to reside in.

Galleries are the least permanent places to house my prints as compared to museums, but I thought I'd give them a try with a few prints. Currently my work is in close to 50 museums and institutions around the world. So in the big scheme, galleries are a very small area for me to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    I'd say, that unless you're already collectable, the work won't end up with high end gallery's permanent collections (i'm not sure who you are behind 'Iluvmyviewcam'... you could be George Tice.. and then I'd say you'd stand a pretty good chance of having it collected ). Most galleries have no shortage of people wanting to give them work.
    My work is collectable, but not for $, but for social / historical interest. That was what I was wondering. If galleries ever collect photos for love of the medium or just for love of $.

I also produced hand made artists books. But I'd never donate to a gallery. They only go to the largest special collections like Oxford, V & A, Columbia, Stanford, British Library, Royal Libraries in Europe, etc.

Currently my work is in close to 50 museums and institutions around the world.
    That should be adequate. Why seek gallery representation?

thank you for supplying a name. I get a little jaded, and tend to jump to conclusions (my own biases, I admit) when confronted by online pseudonyms. I like your work, and that was a pleasent surprise (again.. my own prejudice about online monikers)

Social/documentary work is not as pervasive in the gallery world (outside of 'big' names).. but I wish you luck in finding. More often than not, good work just disappears upon the passing of the artist.. A lot of it deserves to be 'collected' and retained for aesthetic & historic reasons.

My work is collectable, but not for $, but for social / historical interest. That was what I was wondering. If galleries ever collect photos for love of the medium or just for love of $.

I also produced hand made artists books. But I'd never donate to a gallery. They only go to the largest special collections like Oxford, V & A, Columbia, Stanford, British Library, Royal Libraries in Europe, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    That should be adequate. Why seek gallery representation?
    I'm not looking for representation, am just looking to place more prints in collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    thank you for supplying a name. I get a little jaded, and tend to jump to conclusions (my own biases, I admit) when confronted by online pseudonyms. I like your work, and that was a pleasent surprise (again.. my own prejudice about online monikers)

Social/documentary work is not as pervasive in the gallery world (outside of 'big' names).. but I wish you luck in finding. More often than not, good work just disappears upon the passing of the artist.. A lot of it deserves to be 'collected' and retained for aesthetic & historic reasons.
    Thanks. You have to be careful using names on the forums and online. Everything you say comes up on Google. If we talk enough, sooner or later we will usually say something we don't want to be archived and pop up next to our name in a search.

I will check with a few of these galleries to see where they fit in with my plans.

I like this one!

I'm not looking for representation, am just looking to place more prints in collections.
    Understood. Interesting work, good luck in your search.

the people at light work (org) have a permanent collection. they also run a gallery without sales.
    they do hold work from a large number of artists, many of whom will never be collectible. They tend to regard themselves as 'regional' ---

http://www.lightwork.org/contact/

they may be able to offer other help.