Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid film homemade

Re: Polaroid film homemade

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The having profitability issues because they aren't selling anything, if they would just list things as "this is the price right now if you want it you can order it" later it will be better and less expensive but if you want it now you can have it at this price, people would buy it, and they would have money, TIP figured this out along time ago, I don't understand why they haven't figured that out... Sure maybe you wouldn't buy it, and maybe I couldn't afford to buy a whole box of 10 for example, but I might consider it at $10 a sheet to buy a pack just to have some early, and I know a lot of other photographers that are much more successful than me that would probably drop a grand easy to get a bunch of boxes of this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    For $6.00 sheet you can hand make the old 55. Even if you are trying for a huge profit this would work. My back ground was manufacturing for 40 years. This just paper and printing and low cost chemicals.
    I'm only restating what I've learned by following the New55 blog over the past few years. This is from their FAQ page:

The current plan is 8 months after the final funding, which is not yet in place. It will take that long to tool up, get supply lines filled, and iron out the bugs from the system. We do have a working system today that is mostly hand assembled. It works well, but cannot be made in large production quantities until there is money available for scale up. R&D has been costly, but funded as a skunkworks project by Soundwave Research, which has paid for hired help, materials, air travel, equipment, and provides R&D space and infrastructure. New55 is nearly production ready.

If people have concrete ideas about how New55 could hasten their production, I would suggest writing to Bob Crowley directly.

Jonathan
    Last edited by jcoldslabs; 17-Nov-2013 at 17:35. Reason: Added smiley to avoid sounding like an a**hole.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I'm only restating what I've learned by following the New55 blog over the past few years. This is from their FAQ page:

The current plan is 8 months after the final funding, which is not yet in place. It will take that long to tool up, get supply lines filled, and iron out the bugs from the system. We do have a working system today that is mostly hand assembled. It works well, but cannot be made in large production quantities until there is money available for scale up. R&D has been costly, but funded as a skunkworks project by Soundwave Research, which has paid for hired help, materials, air travel, equipment, and provides R&D space and infrastructure. New55 is nearly production ready.

If people have concrete ideas about how New55 could hasten their production, I would suggest writing to Bob Crowley directly.

Jonathan
    Kickstarter? Lol

Just do it
    You can take a lot about doing it they do not some one else will this not a computer it is paper
    After day it looks like a good industry to start can easily be started in short time 1 to 3 months

Dave

Kickstarter? Lol
    Also from the New55 blog:

Lots of people have recommended Kickstarter and though we had a Kickstarter approved project from nearly the beginning and a still valid Kickstarter account, we have none of the people needed to run a crowd funded program and administer to the day to day activities that entails, not to mention that these types of funding sources are in reality just pre-order systems - not really geared toward tooling and machinery to make volumes of products.

J.

Also from the New55 blog:

Lots of people have recommended Kickstarter and though we had a Kickstarter approved project from nearly the beginning and a still valid Kickstarter account, we have none of the people needed to run a crowd funded program and administer to the day to day activities that entails, not to mention that these types of funding sources are in reality just pre-order systems - not really geared toward tooling and machinery to make volumes of products.

J.
    Yeah but it's a bunch of BS and I don't mean that in an angry way, but it's a bunch of BS. If TIP could do it for their "instant lab" and Lomography could do it for their Petzval lens, then surely New55 could do it for their tooling and machinery since that's what TIP and Lomography used it for.

Sure, then they would be obligated to fill the orders, but isn't that the point? Then they would also have tons of people using the film talking about it and then get more orders of new film after it was shot.

I would only buy a T55 replacement type film IF it was made to work with the 545 holders otherwise I'll just keep shooting regular holders and processing later. I'm looking for a product that works similar to T55 even if the look is very different (pretty much guaranteed) but that will give me results in the field.

and agree with Stone, if Bob offered film for sale (even beta), I'd probably buy a package to a) help move the project forward, b) show investors there's a market c) try something different
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Unlike the Impossible Project films which work in millions of vintage SX-70, 600 and Spectra cameras, the New55 stuff ONLY works with the Polaroid 545 holders which limits its use to LF cameras. Whereas the Impossible Project has millions of potential customers and room for growth with new and innovative products, New55 is limited to thousands of potential customers without much room for growth. I can't imagine the number of 4x5 photographers is increasing very much each year, and Fuji just announced it will discontinue FP-3000B pack film. Not an encouraging sign.

I think the problem of a beta release is that there is no "staff" at New55, just Bob and an assistant or two. At best they could release a few hundred hand assembled film packets into the wild. That low volume won't tell potential investors very much or demonstrate the market viability of the product. But like I said, I'm taking them at their word. If New55 could do it then I assume they would, but maybe not.

Jonathan

That is good news
    They may find hand assembled film packets may be as cheaper than the machine to making packets.
    The 55 was use in other industries for recording and the new computer came out Polaroid lost a big chunk

Dave

Unlike the Impossible Project films which work in millions of vintage SX-70, 600 and Spectra cameras, the New55 stuff ONLY works with the Polaroid 545 holders which limits its use to LF cameras. Whereas the Impossible Project has millions of potential customers and room for growth with new and innovative products, New55 is limited to thousands of potential customers without much room for growth. I can't imagine the number of 4x5 photographers is increasing very much each year, and Fuji just announced it will discontinue FP-3000B pack film. Not an encouraging sign.

I think the problem of a beta release is that there is no "staff" at New55, just Bob and an assistant or two. At best they could release a few hundred hand assembled film packets into the wild. That low volume won't tell potential investors very much or demonstrate the market viability of the product. But like I said, I'm taking them at their word. If New55 could do it then I assume they would, but maybe not.

Jonathan

I was editing my lost post as LF went down

The other way is to make a high speed positive paper with a in field simple developer. They had PMT developers 30 years just have down size and make the machine to unload the paper. Yes I have use pmt machine in the darkroom for stander paper developing.

Dave

The biggest problem I found is most think you need a machine to do the work. This will cost hundred of thousands dollars to build new. Using old and modifying machine use other types of work can cost as little as scrap price. This is my background manufacturing I did lot modifying to make my products long the way I found doing thing by hand is some time cheaper than building a tool to do the work. .
    As said before IF I was in my 40's today I would jump on this one FYI this was the other part I was type before LF went down

Dave

If it's so easy, how come the new 55 can't seem to produce something after all this time...