Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid film homemade

Re: Polaroid film homemade

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    This type of pull a part film out side of Polaroid has been around for at less 50 years. Use in Copiers and in printing industries as PMT (PMT was a pull part type paper film ) both you would run in developer and roll out then pull a part. This type of paper/film was around ASA 25 and a paper developer I used Kodak Dektol B&W Paper. If you can find this it would be a short jump
    (PMT is a photomechanical transfer)
    More back ground see http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-93135652.html

Dave
    If it's so easy, how come the new 55 can't seem to produce something after all this time...

Polaroid sued any trying it 20 years ago. Today try to find PMT / photomechanical transfer supplies.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If it's so easy, how come the new 55 can't seem to produce something after all this time...

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Something about the machinery to produce the stuff in large quantities. Seems I read that they were a bit late trying to buy the equipment from Polaroid, and it was destroyed.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

They did try hard it is print equipment even the dies need can come from that industry. Most of the work can be sub out as only the last part need to done in the dark.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X 69 View Post
    Something about the machinery to produce the stuff in large quantities. Seems I read that they were a bit late trying to buy the equipment from Polaroid, and it was destroyed.

New55 was originally based around Efke 25 sheet film. They had done all of their testing and were getting close to finalizing their prototype when Efke ceased production; they then had to switch to another film which required more testing. They also intend for their film to be backwards compatible with existing Polaroid 545 film holders which means they have to meet the specs that those holders require, including the custom-crimped metal clips at the end of the film packets. The cost of getting those tooled and produced was much higher than they anticipated.

Ultimately, they are having trouble reaching their target price of $6/sheet. They could produce film packets right now but at a price no one would pay. Once they can scale it up on the materials side they will be pretty close to making it happen, but that takes a lot of capital for something that is--at best--bound to be a niche product without a lot of growth potential.

TL;DR: At its core New55 is having profitability issue, not a technological one.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    New55 was originally based around Efke 25 sheet film. They had done all of their testing and were getting close to finalizing their prototype when Efke ceased production; they then had to switch to another film which required more testing. They also intend for their film to be backwards compatible with existing Polaroid 545 film holders which means they have to meet the specs that those holders require, including the custom-crimped metal clips at the end of the film packets. The cost of getting those tooled and produced was much higher than they anticipated.

Ultimately, they are having trouble reaching their target price of $6/sheet. They could produce film packets right now but at a price no one would pay. Once they can scale it up on the materials side they will be pretty close to making it happen, but that takes a lot of capital for something that is--at best--bound to be a niche product without a lot of growth potential.

TL;DR: At its core New55 is having profitability issue, not a technological one.

Jonathan
    The having profitability issues because they aren't selling anything, if they would just list things as "this is the price right now if you want it you can order it" later it will be better and less expensive but if you want it now you can have it at this price, people would buy it, and they would have money, TIP figured this out along time ago, I don't understand why they haven't figured that out... Sure maybe you wouldn't buy it, and maybe I couldn't afford to buy a whole box of 10 for example, but I might consider it at $10 a sheet to buy a pack just to have some early, and I know a lot of other photographers that are much more successful than me that would probably drop a grand easy to get a bunch of boxes of this stuff...

For $6.00 sheet you can hand make the old 55. Even if you are trying for a huge profit this would work. My back ground was manufacturing for 40 years. This just paper and printing and low cost chemicals.
    Just think if some one made 20 hour that $120.00. They were paid $8.00 using the blind to do this work the government will give money too for using the blind.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post

Jonathan

For $6.00 sheet you can hand make the old 55. Even if you are trying for a huge profit this would work. My back ground was manufacturing for 40 years. This just paper and printing and low cost chemicals.
    Just think if some one made 20 hour that $120.00. They were paid $8.00 using the blind to do this work the government will give money too for using the blind.

Dave
    Than why don't you make some and sell it, in fact, I know that the reason that they're trying to do it with the individual metal holders has more to do with the availability and price of the metal holders I think they figure that if they sell them to go with the 545 holders, that it will be easier for people to attain them at a low price and make it more appealing in general, however I think that with all the issues that they have going on it would be much easier for them to skip all that and just make the Peel apart style ones that come in packs of 8 or 10 just like the Fuji ones, at least then they wouldn't have to deal with getting the metal crimping stuff.

Anyway what the heck do I know, I certainly don't have the time or patience to put all the stuff together. I just want it done and available

I am in the same boat I have 545 holder too. I have even look at Positive' Paper too do the job but it is to slow.
    FYI I purchase my 545 new it work great.

Dave

Than why don't you make some and sell it, in fact, I know that the reason that they're trying to do it with the individual metal holders has more to do with the availability and price of the metal holders I think they figure that if they sell them to go with the 545 holders, that it will be easier for people to attain them at a low price and make it more appealing in general, however I think that with all the issues that they have going on it would be much easier for them to skip all that and just make the Peel apart style ones that come in packs of 8 or 10 just like the Fuji ones, at least then they wouldn't have to deal with getting the metal crimping stuff.

Anyway what the heck do I know, I certainly don't have the time or patience to put all the stuff together. I just want it done and available

I am in the same boat I have 545 holder too. I have even look at Positive' Paper too do the job but it is to slow.
    FYI I purchase my 545 new it work great.

Dave
    Yes I have two 545 holders, I also own a fuji PA-145 and PA-45 backs for the peel apart pack film, so I don't care which way it comes haha, I can use both