Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Polaroid film homemade

Re: Polaroid film homemade

I finally got tired of patiently waiting for New 55 to amount to anything, so I've been working on my own. So far I've stuck with the chemicals in the blog that started it all. I am getting negatives that would be good if I could solve the pod problem. When I make mine from butcher paper and heat seal the edges it is to strong for the rollers in my 545 to break open. Everything else I've tried is to weak or just as strong. So when I do get a pod to work, my coverage is sporadic.

Does anyone has any suggestions on what to make the chemical pods from?

I have gotten my own envelopes to work quite well. I did get a lot of Type 52 that is dead, so I've been pulling the envelops apart and putting my own film and chemicals in them. I haven't tried for a positive image yet, but have gotten some on the old paper that came in the packets.

Making it and selling it are two different animals. To sell it you would probably run head on into some pretty stiff legal problems with patent owners.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Try Kodak Dektol I use for PMT witch is also the same polaroid film

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    I finally got tired of patiently waiting for New 55 to amount to anything, so I've been working on my own. So far I've stuck with the chemicals in the blog that started it all. I am getting negatives that would be good if I could solve the pod problem. When I make mine from butcher paper and heat seal the edges it is to strong for the rollers in my 545 to break open. Everything else I've tried is to weak or just as strong. So when I do get a pod to work, my coverage is sporadic.

Does anyone has any suggestions on what to make the chemical pods from?

I have gotten my own envelopes to work quite well. I did get a lot of Type 52 that is dead, so I've been pulling the envelops apart and putting my own film and chemicals in them. I haven't tried for a positive image yet, but have gotten some on the old paper that came in the packets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Making it and selling it are two different animals. To sell it you would probably run head on into some pretty stiff legal problems with patent owners.
    I'm just doing this for my own entertainment. If I did want to sell it I doubt there is enough demand to justify setting up for. And there is no way I am going to sit in a room all day assembling packets

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Try Kodak Dektol I use for PMT witch is also the same polaroid film

Dave
    Dave I have the chemistry under control and will experiment with others. What I need to know is how to make the pods themselves. I've tried plastic coated butcher paper, aluminum foil tape, and wax paper. The heat sealed butcher paper won't open. The foil tape either leaks or wont open, depending on size of glue to glue seam. The wax paper falls apart and leaks.

I use some old polaroid film, and the pod was very thin wax. It most likely made by polaroid.

Dave

paper
    I'm just doing this for my own entertainment. If I did want to sell it I doubt there is enough demand to justify setting up for. And there is no way I am going to sit in a room all day assembling packets

Dave I have the chemistry under control and will experiment with others. What I need to know is how to make the pods themselves. I've tried plastic coated butcher paper, aluminum foil tape, and wax paper. The heat sealed butcher paper won't open. The foil tape either leaks or wont open, depending on size of glue to glue seam. The wax paper falls apart and leaks.

tip: make a single edge(seal) break free. This means the bag stays closed, except for the single 'glued' edge. Roller then etc..

Wel the good news is is that New55 has actually shifted gears and is busy setting up a kickstarterproject. More information can be found on www.new55project.com. So a little more patient.

New55 wants to be able to put out a high qualtity stable product. That takes time I'm afraid.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

Greetings everyone,

Has anyone heard of any progress with DIY/Home Made instant film yet?
    I'm am super interested as I would love to start shooting instant film for portraits.

Thanks so much in advance for any help and time offered.
    Please stay safe out there!
    Sincerely,
    Kevin H.