Thread: 135mm to 180mm SOFT FOCUS LENS To Cover 4 X 5 For Pictorial

Johnny Reno

135mm to 180mm SOFT FOCUS LENS To Cover 4 X 5 For Pictorial

I want to do soft focus B&W infrared pictorial on 4 x 5. I would like to do it on a Crown Graphic. I love the Rodenstock Imagon and may have to settle for a 250mm to cover 4 x 5. But what I really want is 135mm to 150mm. I know there are short SF lenses but this must cover 4 x 5. I don't have a Speed Graphic but could get one if the lens was only available in barrel. I need the lens to be able to be quite syrupy soft. Don't recommend medium format because I'm not going there. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Johnny Reno

Re: 135mm to 180mm SOFT FOCUS LENS To Cover 4 X 5 For Pictorial

____

Johnny, in this focal length... I would seriously take a look at the Fujinon 180mm f/5.6 SF (Soft Focus) Lens (3E/3G). This lens will definitely cover 4x5 for you (I.C. 200mm). *However, results do differ... From what can be obtained with a Rodenstock Imagon.

Although, I 'personally' prefer the look of the Fuji 180 SF over say a 250 Imagon (as the Rodenstock Imagon 200mm will not cover 4x5 @ Infinity)... I would not call it 'Syrupy Soft' -- But rather 'Buttery SMOOTH!!!'

Therefore, please be guided accordingly!

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/fujinon_1.html

http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/35.html

--
    Yamasaki, also of course made a couple of Soft Focus 'Triplets' under the "Congo" name (150mm and 200mm f/4).
    But, as I have never personally used these lenses... I thus cannot comment on them any further.
    --
    In Barrel Mount, there is also the Wollaston (Single Meniscus) 135mm and 190mm Lenses. Perhaps, these too may be suitable for your needs. Then again... There is always 'DIY' ?

http://re-inventedphotoequip.com/Lenses.html

--
    Best Regards,

-Tim.

_________
    Last edited by Taija71A; 14-Nov-2013 at 09:39.

Fujinon made a 180mm soft focus lens. It uses strainers like the Imagon but is designed a little differently. I have never used one and don't know much about it.

As others have said ... Imagon 200mm, Fuji 180mm ... adding to this Kalosat 1A, 171.5mm and covers 4x5. My Eidoscope #5 (150mm) doesn't cover 4x5, the #4 (190mm) barely covers 4x5 with vignetting. All SF lenses I have with a shorter focal than 180mm don't cover 4x5 ... definitely MF format and that is where I use them.

YMMV

Jim Galli has sold a bunch of short focal length meniscus lenses that cover 4x5.

The Fuji isn't very soft.

Reinhold makes shorter lenses but you'll need a speed graphic or cobble it to a big shutter. I'm a big fan of his 190.

You could also take the elements off a lens+shutter you already down, and stick a magnifying glass behind the shutter with tape and cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Fujinon made a 180mm soft focus lens. It uses strainers like the Imagon but is designed a little differently. I have never used one and don't know much about it.
    The Fujinon is only a little painful to work with because one has to unscrew the front lens to put the sieve between the lenses. (You can shoot without a sieve.) For the Imagon, you just push the sieve into the front.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Jim Galli has sold a bunch of short focal length meniscus lenses that cover 4x5.
    ____

Good Point!

_________

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    The Fujinon is only a little painful to work with because one has to unscrew the front lens to put the sieve between the lenses. (You can shoot without a sieve.) For the Imagon, you just push the sieve into the front.
    Ok. The Fuji is kind of like the Mamiya Soft focus lenses for the RB and RZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Ok. The Fuji is kind of like the Mamiya Soft focus lenses for the RB and RZ.
    I should have added that correct use of the Fujinon is to focus with the strainer in-place and at the chosen F-stop lest focus shift a great deal. So the placing of the sieve behind the front cluster is no big deal.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

There are lots of good options.. One of the best would be to find an f/4.5 Tessar in a shutter and space the front element forward, simulating the diffusion on the Wollensak Velostigmat Series II. Jim Galli's thread on it:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...for-Soft-Focus

My old thread on uncorking the Velostigmat:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...nfo-and-Images
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."