Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To those who have won photo competitions before

To those who have won photo competitions before

Not sure what catagory to put this in. For those of you who have won competitions before, what are your thoughts on your past winners? Do you consider entering them again in future competitions, or do you basically "retire" your past winners from future competitions? This is assuming that the future competitions you are considering don't have any restrictions on past use.

Re: To those who have won photo competitions before

Back in the '70s I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA. Every year they have the Three Rivers Arts Festival. One year a high contrast black and white landscape photograph I created on a 2¼x2¼ Yashica TLR won Best of Show. I was thrilled because I assumed it would be great publicity for my photography studio. Then the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspaper employees went on strike and I received no publicity! Bummer...

To answer your question, I would have no problem re-entering a photograph in multiple competitions.
    Why not?

I forget which photographer said it; but he was asked what's his favorite. His reply was the one tomorrow.
    I do on occasion submit an older winner depending on the venue. But I like to think that I'm always improving.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I usually go with my latest and greatest. That said I entered an annual regional contest with what I consider to be a most excellent photo. Did not get juried in. So, I entered the same photo to the same competition the next year and got an award.

I don't like competitions. The things that win are usually splashy, heavy on the saturation slider and commercial. They usually don't have too much going for them aesthetically…. at least from a "depth" point of view. There are exceptions, of course, and it isn't my intention to insult anyone - except maybe the people who run these things.

Better to be appreciated by one's peers - for having a truly unique insight into something… or something similar.

Just my opinion,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I don't like competitions. The things that win are usually splashy, heavy on the saturation slider and commercial. They usually don't have too much going for them aesthetically…. at least from a "depth" point of view. There are exceptions, of course, and it isn't my intention to insult anyone - except maybe the people who run these things.

Better to be appreciated by one's peers - for having a truly unique insight into something… or something similar.

Just my opinion,

Lenny
    Lenny, you forgot about the cute cat pictures!

I don't see any problem with it, but remember todays winner could be tomorrows disappointment.
    Judges are people with preferences, likes and dislikes same as us.
    Submit what you think is your BEST work
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I don't like competitions. The things that win are usually splashy, heavy on the saturation slider and commercial.
    That sounds like the typical PPA or PSA competitions, whether local or national. I avoid all such clubs like the plague.
    I prefer entering local arts associations' competitions even though we're competing against other media.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I try to forget the images i have done in the past,thats why i did them in the first place ,is to perfect them then put them away.I can always do better tomorrow,when i wanna enter a competition i shoot specifically for that competition..

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    That sounds like the typical PPA or PSA competitions, whether local or national. I avoid all such clubs like the plague.
    I prefer entering local arts associations' competitions even though we're competing against other media.
    I'm considering joining a club again for the comaraderie. My old club (I was a member in the 80's) was and is involved in PSA competitions. I viewed some of their recent winners in their print competition and they were mostly sickly sweet over done HDR crap.