Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price for a used kodak commercial ektar f6.3, 12"

Price for a used kodak commercial ektar f6.3, 12"

What is a reasonable Price for a used kodak commercial ektar f6.3, 12"?
    Thanks!
    D

Re: Price for a used kodak commercial ektar f6.3, 12"

On eBay, in the US, they bring $400-500 when in really nice condition.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That would be with shutter. Without shutter the price tends to be slightly lower.

That Ektar 12" seems to be one of the most desired... i have seen prices between 300 to 695 being in the original wood box. I have only seen it in a Ilex compound shutter .... Maybe the best way to buy one of these is get one with a bad shutter and either fix or buy a used Ilex ...very cheap shutter.... but beware that Ilex has a different flange type than you might be used to... caught me by suprise

Aren't the Ilex and the "Kodak Ilex" slightly different shutters? That was my understanding and my hesitation to buy with the intent of re-shuttering.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Aren't the Ilex and the "Kodak Ilex" slightly different shutters? That was my understanding and my hesitation to buy with the intent of re-shuttering.

yes they are ...according to SKGrimes do not use the kodak version because it is really bad to repair and reliability issues make it a stinker... Well apparently it came in both shutters. not sure because i do not know lens history... I bought one in an Ilex shutter and i needed a flange ..... SKGrimes accomodated me just fine

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    ...according to SKGrimes do not use the Kodak version because it is really bad to repair and reliability issues make it a stinker.
    It was my understanding that the only thing that differentiates the Ilex shutters made for Kodak are the thread and flange dimensions, not the build quality. The SK Grimes site has this to say about them:

"When is an Ilex not an Ilex? Shutters marked as “Made for Eastman Kodak”...are often made to different dimensions from the standard production runs. This means that lenses and mounting flanges may not be easily interchangeable between different shutters."

I have to assume the actual quality of manufacture is indistinguishable from a regular Ilex shutter.

Jonathan

Moved to the Lenses forum.

Rick "carry on" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I have to assume the actual quality of manufacture is indistinguishable from a regular Ilex shutter.
    That is good to hear. The 12" I have is in a Kodak Ilex. It appears to be a high-quality shutter and odes everything I need plus more. The flash synch capability is quite amazing.

I have a 12" f/4.5 Ektar (the non-'Commercial' version) in a Kodak Ilex Universal No.5. The slowest speeds stick a bit, but otherwise it works well. It isn't much for variety of speeds, though. The fastest marked speed is 1/50 which by all accounts is really 1/30. Still, it's nice to have the flash sync option and it is more consistent at 1/30 and 1/10 than my hand operated Galli shutter usually is.

J.