Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burn that backpack

burn that backpack

Me and my in-pain spine decided to stop hauling around my 8x10 camera so we looked for some alternative ways to accomplish this task. I was out photographing with my friend Andrew O'Neill last week and my 8x10 tachihara+6 holders+ann the extras+my massive surveyors tripod felt heavier and heavier by everyminute i spent walking. At the end of the day i sat on the sidewalk and asked god to take me..
    So i went on a quest to carry all that equipment around.. the answer started in cnd tire and the california innovations cooler that holds my 8x10 tachihara+6holders+darkcloth perfect. Then i went in to my shed and dug out an old granny cart and cleaned it up and painted it. the result is in the pictures. My tripod mounts on it perfect and my back is laughing. I also put in my old shoulder bag that carries my 2 lenses + filters+light meter and some other extras. the front hand bag has my spare film and storage film box.i made a baseplate for the cart from cardboard and covered it with red fabric. and i also have my fuji film sponsored cushion.

I will never backpack with this gear unless i really have to.

have a nice day all

burn that backpack

Hey, thats my "high end camera bag" you have in your baskett. I believe it was Target for $13.99. I have seen a few used surveyer tripods around for sale and scatched my head, How well does it work?

burn that backpack

how well does it work? i could not be any better! i can sit on it and it won't slip.. i'll tell you that much.. i also made rubber feet attachments for the piked feet so i can use it on smooth surfaces.. my manfrotto 488RC$ head complements it quite nicely.

burn that backpack

I did a similar thing. I took an old jogging stroller and ripped out all of the fabric, straps and buckles, I still use my backpack but now I strap it onto the stroller where the baby used to sit. It has two 20" bicycle wheels ( great for rough terrain. I even have room for a six pack cooler which is strapped to the lower platform.

burn that backpack

Deniz,

Last week my California Innovations Cooler/Camera bag made it's maiden voyage---a four hour hike in the Mariposa Grove. It was the model Costco sells with the integral two wheeled cart. It held my v8 'dorff, five holders, dark cloth, loupe, filter kit, light meter, 240 G Claron and 159 Wolly on lens boards and a small cleaning kit. I carried my Ries, which seemed like it approaches the wieght of an M60, in one hand. I think the upgrade to a bigger cart to accomodate the tripod sounds like a winner. All in all, the Cooler on wheels worked out well on the trail, It was light enough to manhandle over rocky areas and those trail drainage ruts. The only "interesting" situations were when travelling downhill for long stretches(the "beast" wanted to push me out of the way if pulled, or launch on it's own accord if I let it lead the way handcart style.) The zippers and velcro do a good job at keeping the trail dust at bay, but the exterior of the case looked like a Grand Canyon mule on the way to the barn(dirty.) All in all, for gentle trails its certainly a cost effective and really pleasant way to cover ground with an 8x10.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

burn that backpack

Nice work, Deniz. Can you come over and paint my daughter's 3 wheeled stroller purple for me? Now all you need is a lid for the cage with a cushion on top and you'll have a nice seat to rest upon. Don't forget a little pouch for a drink bottle.

burn that backpack

now thats a good idea Andrew!! a lid!! why didn't i think of that..a lid that i can sit on!! I still got some paint left, if you want i'll paint it when you are here

burn that backpack

Now I'll really start checking out those "bag ladies" to snoop their choice of equipment.

burn that backpack

Since were on the subject. Does anyone know of a waterproof hard shell case for a veiw camera that can be had for cheap? I'm excluding the high end stuff IE Pellican........

burn that backpack

michael,

How big a camera? The "playmate" series Igloo coolers are pretty cool;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White