Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 camera

8x10 camera

I can to a decision that I wanna get an 8x10. I'm have been a happy user of a field toyo and after sometime got myself Chamonix 4x5 and very happy with this camera - just effect for me .
    But now I don't know what 8x10 camera I should get , I would like to ask for some help from you

Thank you

Re: 8x10 camera

I shoot with a Toyo field camera and also with an 8x10 field camera. I have a Tachihara which is brilliant. It's light enough to carry around with me and not think about it too much.

i'm loving the 8x10 format. i was shooting 4x5 and 5x7 before but since i want to make bigger contact prints i decided to get a 8x10. i just tested my KMV once but hopefully when i get back in iran i could use it more often than my 4x5. if you have funds i think you should get the newer camera.. but if you like the old designs. KMV or Deardorff would be a good choice. goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by Yef View Post
    I can to a decision that I wanna get an 8x10. I'm have been a happy user of a field toyo and after sometime got myself Chamonix 4x5 and very happy with this camera - just effect for me .
    But now I don't know what 8x10 camera I should get , I would like to ask for some help from you

Thank you
    Well we can really only give opinions on what we have experience of, so here goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110521102502.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	104027

This is a very easy camera to set up and use, is not ludicrously heavy and without extensions can reach out for close ups or long focus lenses. Even with the standard bellows it can cope with wide angle lenses. It is not expensive either. It's the Shen Hao FCL810-A.

RR

I love the Toyo 810M; heavy, yes, but very stable and precise.
    Probably the last 8x10 I will ever buy.

I own a Burke & James; nothing compact or light about it, but it's inexpensive and works without complaint.

I've used other people's Deardorff, Canham, Kodak Master View, all nice cameras suited to a variety of tastes. If you can get to an event where you can try/inspect such cameras (some sort of LF workshop), it would be an efficient way to determine what's best for you.

It depends on how light (ha-ha!) And compact you want to get. And if you want to go "old school" or modern. And how much moo-lah you want to spend.
    I really like my beater Deardorff V-8. I just connect with it better.
    The Tachihara triple extension is very similar.
    A Century Universal is also pretty slick---and very light weight!
    Ansco built a very nice camera (Ansel Approved!) But it is bulkier and heavy---not necessarily a bad thing unless you're back packing.
    Kodak Master Views are rugged but finding metal lens boards is, I found, problematic.
    The B&J I had was too wobbly but that might well have been my particular example.
    A lot of folks are doing splendid work with the Kodak 2D
    IMHO, any Deardorff V-8 for $1200 or under is worth looking at, .but YMMV of course
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The first, and most important question ... how much do you want to spend? ... and remember ... before you answer ... you also have to buy lenses, film holders, and film.

The thing is I wanna spend the lowest amount of money I can and I wanna get the lightest thing possible , since the cameras I saw it doesn't go lower then 3.5-4 kg so that fine by me. $3500 for a camera it's a big to much thought because I need to get assesories , lens I yar the Schneider 24mm XL for now

http://www.bhcamera.us/shenhao-flc810.php

$2580 new and with aluminium carrying case...

RR