Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TF5 re-use

Re: TF5 re-use

Quote Originally Posted by Petzval Paul View Post
    I recently started using TF-5 and have to say that I absolutely love it. I mix it up quart-sized containers and just use it one shot, using just enough for a session and then toss it out. Maybe it's a bit wasteful, but I don't want to take any chances and fixing is just too important.
    +1

Using fixer one shot is extremely wasteful. It's 45+ years since I first started processing film and I've never seen an issue with film fixing as long as it's done past the clearing time and the film has sufficient washing.

There's no risks in re-using film fixer what so ever, best archival practice would be two bath fixing but quite frankly it's unnecessary.

Ian

A problem I've experienced is that some films such as TMax 400 have a magenta appearance with nearly exhausted fixer while other films in the same process chain do completely clear. Extra washing doesn't help. But re-fixing in fresh fixer clears them.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    A problem I've experienced is that some films such as TMax 400 have a magenta appearance with nearly exhausted fixer while other films in the same process chain do completely clear. Extra washing doesn't help. But re-fixing in fresh fixer clears them.
    again +1

getting ready to develop 60 sheets of HP5+ i will use fresh fixer 5 times and dump. There will be no question about how long these negatives will last....