Thread: Where to get old 4x5, 5x7 parts?

Where to get old 4x5, 5x7 parts?

I'm looking for a few parts and have searched the net quite a bit with no success. Maybe someone here has a source? In particular, I have a Burke & James 5x7 with removeable back and I need one of the pins that the clips hold onto, these are the pins on the edge of the back that olls like a round silver ball, they are very common to most of these type backs. I'm also looking for a replacement black leather handle for the same camera, it is about 5-6 inches long and has slots in each end to accept the longer fasteners that go through them. Thanks in advance for any help. Bob in Michigan.

Re: Where to get old 4x5, 5x7 parts?

Nanthor,

The pins are made from brass rods which you can find at any good hardware store. Just take your existing back in with you to verify size and then cut to length once you have the rod mounted in the back and use a file to round it. Any good leather store should be able to make the handle you need.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

If you go to that big auction site and look at the items for seller ' attrevida ', you will find many parts. For example, a leather handle (item 330990427541) and pins (item 230930090525). The rivets and other handle parts are there as well.

Jac
    Thanks for that bit of information on attrevida, I didn't know about that site.

While I have used attrevida's parts (he is the chap that revived Deardorff), Tim's advice is right-on. I prefer to make what I can, and for leather work I am more than happy to help support our only leather craftsman in town. He is happy, too.

I found very nice handles from Brettun's Village http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunk...ts/handles.htm Catalog# TH-16. I think they were $6.00. They also have some nice brass brackets for $8.00/pair. I was able to replace the rotted leather handles on my Kodak 2D 5x7 and 8x10 and also my 4x5 Graflex RB Model D.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Thank you all, this has been most helpful , I'm very happy with the responses. Thanks again, Bob.