Thread: Film Dryer too big...now what?

Re: Film Dryer too big...now what?

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    Crap. So how to I stand it up?

Who can solve physics problems here???
    Lower the floor?

retrogrouchy

Can you slide it in instead of tilting it in?

Does it have feet you could remove? Hell, would it matter if you cut a few inches off the bottom of the dryer (I'm assuming the interesting bits are in the top)?

What Brian said. Find a competent framing carpenter - prefferably one without an advanced degree. Tell him what you want to do. He will support the joists which need to be cut and when the dryer is in place will reinforce them with a scab or beam of either wood or steel. If the joists are load bearing or have structural, mechanical or electrical components running through/along side then it merely complicates the work - doesn't make it impossible. -Chris

I want to believe the cover can be removed. If it is spot-welded in place, then the welds can be drilled off. There is a specific bit intended just for that. Then you can screw it back on later.

Very best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I want to believe the cover can be removed. If it is spot-welded in place, then the welds can be drilled off. There is a specific bit intended just for that. Then you can screw it back on later.

Very best of luck!
    That's the solution I'm going to focus on this weekend.

For me, going down the joist alteration route is probably too much. I have another dryer that is shorter (60") but has a larger foot print. I thought I could go taller and reduce my footprint for my new DR but if I can't, rather than cutting joists, I'll just use my old dryer and get rid of this one.

Or, maybe keep it in the garage. We can warm up boots, gloves, hats in the winter before we go out!

Cutting floor joists should not be attempted. The fix for that is sistering new joists beside the compromised ones and the amount of work and cost is quite a bit more than what a film dryer would cost to have custom built. Is there a base under the dryer that can be removed or shortened? Depending on the dimensions of the cabinet, you would need to be at least six or more inches shorter than the ceiling height to tip the cabinet into place. I used to run into this problem all the time when I built houses and the cabinets were built to suit the space by people who never had to install them.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

I saw the model in the For Sale section. If you wish to use it for sheets film, why not using it horizontally!
    If you wish to use it vertically, maybe the easier way is to cut the bottom 4-5 inches and rescrew the base, door is pretty high from the bottom. You don't wish to have problems everytime you will wish to move the unit.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

I have a Dewalt reciprocating saw i can sell you... either cut the beams or cut the bottom off from the dryer.. or just put it in the garage. Or just sell it here on LF and try again....