Thread: Garage Darkroom Ventilation

Garage Darkroom Ventilation

I finally made the big plunge towards being more 'responsible' by buying a townhome. It has one of these deep 'tandem' garages in which you could park two cars end to end. I am envisioning putting a curtained darkroom at the far end and using it only in the evening. I have access to water and a GFI outlet but no drain and the ventilation is problematic. There are no windows in the garage and I don't see how the homeowner's association would let me punch a hole in a wall to install a vent (besides, I believe the garage walls are underground if I recall correctly. So, I'm wondering what people do in this situation. Since it's not a sealed darkroom and I think the garage is kind of large would I be ok? If I am using it at night anyway, wouldn't just leaving the garage door up be adequate? I mean, I'm not launching a rocket here after all. ;-)

Octogenarian

Hi Matthew,

Been there--done that. Without having a drain, or vent system, it's a pain in the hind end. Also, a garage in a townhome usually isn't heated or air conditioned, so it would be uncomfortable to work in. Leaving the garage door open and working during a nice cool summer evening would be do-able, until someone drives by, or pulls up your driveway, with their car lights glaring. It would be much more practical to set up a temporary darkroom in a bathroom, using the bathtub as a darkroom sink.

That might be more or less feasible. We have a full bathroom in the second bedroom. Depends on if my wife doesn't mind my co-opting the only bathroom with a tub. ;-)

I have no idea what a "townhome" is but... by using low odour stop and fix, I found I could work easily in a spare bedroom by opening the window when not actually needing darkroom conditions (i.e. when enlarging or developing prints). Lack of running water will be your main difficulty - in my case the bathroom was in the next room so washing was done there. Once my darkroom was up and running properly, life was sooooooo much easier.

Hmmmm, a second bedroom with en-suite bathroom - sounds like the perfect darkroom conversion to me....

Cheers,

Garage don't tend to be air tight. You could easily vent the thing if need be. All you need is a piece of plywood the width of the garage. Put a exhaust fan into that. Leave the door up an amount equal to the height of the board. Shouldn't be impossible to make it light tight.

Around here when you take the car into the shop they stick a hose into the exhaust and the other end of the hose into a hole in the door. Basically no different then my suggestion.

The lack of a drain is an issue but you can wash else where. Or you can collect waste water.

Octogenarian

I know what you mean Matthew. I was using a darkroom set-up that could be easily taken down when not in use. My wife reluctantly agreed to allow me to use the bathroom as a darkroom, as long as I didn't block her access to the toilet. I converted the bathroom into a temporary darkroom in several of the townhomes and apartments that we had rented in our travels around the country. Three years ago, we finally settled down and built our present house.We converted one of the two bathrooms in the house into a permanent darkroom. Had the builder eliminate the windows in the bathroom. Much more comfortable than working in the garage.

I don't think I'd have too many problems convincing her. I wouldn't have to completely co-opt the tub and she's been after me for awhile to make some large prints for the living room.

Matthew,

I'm not well versed in the building codes, but it seems as if there has to be some kind of ventilation in your garage---I mean you've got gas tanks, exhaust emitting cars and nowadays probably a hot water heater lurking in there(bad idea if you ask me---but no one did!) I think your biggest issue would be dust(unless of course your homeowner's assn dosen't allow dust;-)) If there is a way of sheet rocking in a partition, that would be an elegant solution. A non bearing wall would be a cheap and simple project. Then you could vent into the rest of the garage leaving the garage door cracked open.

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White