Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

Re: Where to go in Europe in the Winter?

The long range weather forecast for Western/Northern Europe is a continuation of Atlantic depressions movement in the NE direction. This means a continuation of mild, wet, dark and occasionally stormy weather we have had so far!

South of the Pyrenees recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The long range weather forecast for Western/Northern Europe is a continuation of Atlantic depressions movement in the NE direction. This means a continuation of mild, wet, dark and occasionally stormy weather we have had so far!

South of the Pyrenees recommended!
    And foggy
    And I have new toys coming my way
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Cuurently just north of paris= grey and raining
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

And the end of year forecast - as far as February - is:

A continuation of the mild, wet and stormy weather.

Currently (8th Jan 2014) it is too warm and too wet - stay inside....

My Flickr

Well, sitting here on a balcony here in Nerja, Spain, I can confirm that the weather is a lot more suitable for LF than it was a few days ago in Denmark!

What would make my stay perfect would be a mini center for servicing short term winter escapees here in the area run by a cooperative, manned by LFers (traditional and wetplate - or even MFers) on longer winter stays with a darkroom and a good old fashioned studio with skylighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Well, sitting here on a balcony here in Nerja, Spain, I can confirm that the weather is a lot more suitable for LF than it was a few days ago in Denmark!

What would make my stay perfect would be a mini center for servicing short term winter escapees here in the area run by a cooperative, manned by LFers (traditional and wetplate - or even MFers) on longer winter stays with a darkroom and a good old fashioned studio with skylighting.
    sounds like hard work Steven, really hard

anyhow at least you're in contact with what's happening on this site

enjoy

best

andrew

Southern France: Carcassonne, Aix, Arles, Avignon...

Back to snow and minus degrees (Centigrade) in Denmark.

I'd like to get back to what I wrote two weeks ago:

I (we - meaning partner and children and their families) have always resisted the temptation to acquire a winter retreat in the south of Europe as the economics of long/short term rental are so much better and more hassle free than property investment (speculation?). Nethertheless, it's always fun to look at estate agent's displays. So I used a few hours of my latest Andulusian trip to see what was available, that would be suitable for photographic endeavours as well as for general escape from Northern European winters.

I looked at the foothill villages (those where the houses are built together in the old Moorish tradition, including Maro, Frigiliana, Competa and up in Las Alpujarras, like Pampaniera and Capileira).
    Some are within 10 minutes of the main transport routes, others are at the end of an hours 40 minute "difficult" drive.

The properties offered (and what "turns up" regularly) range from 2 bedroomed properties with 6m2 balconies to places with multiple accomodation, internal courtyards and even a studio.
    All of these places are no longer the poverty stricken places they were in the early 20th century when only a few houses had glazing! But tourism in the winter months (mostly Spanish) is very limited and the locals dominate.

This is not the start of a business proposition but I would like to hear other people's opinions before I go further with the project as I am completely unable to judge whether my needs in the winter are similarly to others.

Sorry, but this - which includes a link to a concrete business offer - is surely out of place here?

My last contribution is basically trying to find if others have the same need for more custom designed arrangements (dark room, skylight studio with studio camera/stand, wetplate requisites etc.) in the warm and sunny parts of Europe during the long dark winter in the North.