Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

Re: Best tripod head for 4x5 camera?

I use a Zone VI 4x5 (Wista made, single extension ). Several years ago I bought a Velbon CF tripod and a Velbon Magnesium ball head, both used, at the Houston Camera Show. While the combination is just adequate for this small-ish 4x6 kit , it has suited my gear and method. Any fiddling required by the ball head is made up for by the reduction in weight. I have heavier tripods with heavier heads, but this is the gear that goes with me outdoors. For me, lower weight is important.

The safe answer is a heavier tripod with a larger pan-tilt head. The trade-off will always be rigidity vs weight. I live in the Houston Texas area and there are several major photo stores here. If you can, go to a camera shop and put your kit together on a tripod set up with a pan-head. Do it again on other combinations till you find one that suits you and your wallet. For the money you will spend, they ought to let you try it out in-store.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I used to use a Manfrotto 410, but now use an Arca Swiss D4, which is vastly superior (and more expensive).

I'm more than pleased with my 3667 Leveling Pan/Tilt head from Linhof.

Used Linhof 3663 on ebay. Not seen very often.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-3-Way...30894612591%26
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    ____

Although,
    I too really like the Manfrotto (400, 405 & 410) Geared Heads and line of products 'In general'... I would also give a 'Very Serious' look at one of the FLM Ball Heads.

*They are definitely German 'World Class' Quality and their unique 'Tilt Lock' feature... Allows the user to have 2D-only movements at any set angle on the ball head.

Our own LF Forum Member 'Ari', is an outstanding guy to deal with... And he of course is also the North American Distributor for FLM GmbH.
    --
    Depending on where you are located... I believe that both Adorama and B&H are also Stocking Dealers...
    --
    If you have not seen it... You might also want to take a look at the following recent thread on this very topic (Tripod Heads):

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ht=tripod+head

Regards,

-Tim.

________

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    ____

Although,
    I too really like the Manfrotto (400, 405 & 410) Geared Heads and line of products 'In general'... I would also give a 'Very Serious' look at one of the FLM Ball Heads.

*They are definitely German 'World Class' Quality and their unique 'Tilt Lock' feature... Allows the user to have 2D-only movements at any set angle on the ball head.

Our own LF Forum Member 'Ari', is an outstanding guy to deal with... And he of course is also the North American Distributor for FLM GmbH.
    --
    Depending on where you are located... I believe that both Adorama and B&H are also Stocking Dealers...
    --
    If you have not seen it... You might also want to take a look at the following recent thread on this very topic (Tripod Heads):

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ht=tripod+head

Regards,

-Tim.

________
    +2

For a 4x5 field camera, I have settled on a gitzo g2270M head on 3 series carbon fiber gitzo legs. I don't know if it's the best, but from a guy who is never satisfied, I have never looked for anything else after this combo. It's light weight, strong and feels good.

I generally don't like ball heads for large format cameras but one with a friction adjustment can make sense. I use a Foba Superball with the friction adjustment set pretty heavy and it works well.

Gitzo g1270 always worked really well for me .
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

A complete other tripod. Leitz Tiltall. Why buy anything else?