Thread: Italian Old Gear Discovery

Italian Old Gear Discovery

Just spent five weeks travelling through Italy with a compact digi and my Speed Graphic, and the wife, enjoying some incredibly generous hospitality along the way. To be truthful the Speed Graphic wasn't to be the main attention for photography over there and I only took 20 sheets with me. Regrettably I only used 14 sheets and on reflection should have taken multiple exposures of the same subject to use all of them up after going to the trouble of taking it over and lugging it around by foot and on train.

For the architecture and landscape enthusiast Italy has an abundance of prime subjects, your only limitation is avoiding the multitudes of tourists clammering around the place. I mostly do still life now but the chance to work outside amongst the scenery and antiquity was irresistable. Firstly and foremost I caught up with a most notable and respected photographer and enjoyed his company and hospitality in Milan, our relaxed time with him was a great pleasure. To witness his work and appreciate his unique skill will be a living memory. Then we headed to Lucca. Here I literally stumbled across a couple of photographers, one using film and another selling his LF gear in the window of his little shop, they were both overjoyed to see the SG slung over my shoulder and took me into their studios to share their interest. We somehow worked around the language barrier to converse at length as photogs. The bloke selling his substantial collection of LF gear also had out the back in his studio the portrait camera used by his mother since 1930 that was mounted on a very large very heavy steel stand that looked something used on an old x-ray machine. This unit was complete with a 300mm Heliar lens. Some of his mother's splendid old portrait work hung from the high picture rail on the wall of his shop and prompted me to ask who did them. The number of old but expertly made portraits included political and religious leaders which leads me to think mum was a photographer of some note.

Eventually we made it to Rome were I discovered by chance on a strole close to our hotel the Instituto Centrale per il Catalogue e la Documentazione. Outside a sign indicated an exhibition of Guido Guidi's work. Not that I knew of him but we ventured in uncertain but welcomed enthusiastically by an assistant to view the four rooms of work. Not realising what was ahead after the exhibition we walked into a medium sized room that essentially held a collection of LF and other gear collected by the institute as a reminder of the photography history in Italy. The range of old lenses in glass cabinets and mounted on different sized cameras was mouth watering. I assume this is a permanent display going by the size of the collection and the way it was housed, although I can't be sure of this as I didn't ask. In any case if you are ever in Rome I recommend a visit to the Institution, it is not far from the old part of the city in Trastevere, just across the river in an off the track street. A very small number of lenses I noted are Ross No. 6 Portrait (huge), Hermagis No. 25.416, Voigtlander Braunschweig APO Skopar 45cm f6, ANGne Mon Jamin Darlot. Sr Optic??? 14 Chapon Paris, the rest I didn't get the details of but you may recognise them in the photos.

While the holiday was not intended to be a photo equipment expose', to some extent it nearly turned out that way by chance rather than good management. All up it was a memorable experience from the start to the end.

Ciao

Colin

Last shot below is the Ross No. 6 Portrait lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LF Display  I_resize.jpg   LF Display II_resize.jpg   LF Display III_resize.jpg   LF Display IV_resize.jpg  

Re: Italian Old Gear Discovery

More photos from the Institute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LF Display  IX_resize.jpg   LF Display  VIII_resize.jpg   LF Display V_resize.jpg   LF Display VI_resize.jpg  

Next:Hermagis Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LF Display X_resize.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	103367

Old Portrait Camera & Heliar lens in Lucca Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucca Portrait Camera & Heliar_resize.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	103368

That's it.

Interesting journey ~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

I did write a reply earlier, but it got lost when I was checking some of the facts I was posting.
    As regards the Lucca set-up:
    Nice set-up - looks more like the 50's than the 20's or 30's. The two names I know who may be responsible are Lu-Pa (data in LFPF) and perhaps Fatif. The short pole stand is a very useful for restricted height studios. They are usually about 2.5m high.

The exhibition looks a bit sad to my eyes. I am used to cabinets full of brass canons and there are no supporting items! No surprises amongst the lenses. Some of the studio cameras are much larger than the usual 16x24cm maximum, perhaps even 40x50cm! Some of the stands are designs I haven't seen before.

Yeah you're right about the Lucca set up, it's definitely not from the 30's. From memory he wrote down 1930 to indicate something, maybe when his mother was born, my Italian translation is not great . I've got his business card so I'll contact him to get further details. The stand looked like a good way of keeping the camera steady and positioning it for portraits or still life with minimal fuss; I wouldn't mind one.

I forgot to mention that a large Ross lens called a "6" may well be a Ross Universal (even though it is engraved Portrait!). This is a Euryskop type RR (F6) which was made for a short time in even bigger sizes.