Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When to Sell Lenses

Re: When to Sell Lenses

sell lenses???

Craziness!!

keep them until you die, then your relatives can sell them at a garage sale for fifty bucks a shot

that's how it works..right?

"uuummm? define quite alot over $1k? 1200? 1500? just saying.

so, what is your theory why the "dallmeyer copy of the cooke" has not sold for the asking price?.....or the lowered price? i gave you my opinion......"

Sorry for the delay, Eddie - have been abroad. If you can call Sweden abroad.

Yes, 1200 and 1400 sound about right at the moment for the 5x7" 10.5" .

I have never quite understood the need for running reductions everyday. I know all about the theory of Dutch auctions but to me, anyway, it reduces confidence in the product.

As far as Tim's rare Dallmeyer fast "Cooke" goes, it suffers from its rarity in comparison the quantity of Cooke lenses. It is easier/more hip to say "Yes, I have knuckler version, too" rather than "No, I don't have the knuckler, but I have the faster version made by Dallmeyer in small numbers".

An example:

Someone contacted me to-day about his puzzling Hermagis purchase. It turns out to be Hermagis' late version of the Harrison Globe with the 3 built-in apertures operated by turning barrel. Never seen one before - but it is in Agostino's book. This one is one serial number away from the illustrated one!

Rarer than the Harrison Globe - probably.
    Better made than the Harrison Globe - certainly!
    More valuable than the Harrison Globe - unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    It turns out to be Hermagis' late version of the Harrison Globe with the 3 built-in apertures operated by turning barrel. Never seen one before - but it is in Agostino's book. This one is one serial number away from the illustrated one!
    awesome! i want it..... and the illustration!....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Now is the time to order Agostino's book, which in spite of editing (or lack of it) is a very good source. Christmas present from a happy customer, perhaps?

The new "Globe" is just as nice.
    Looks like a big aplanat from the side. Then the lens "attributes" bulge forward and the barrel has 1, 2 and 3 engraved on the side.
    A development for the "3 lever" wide angle from Darlot.

He has just mentioned that it was bought on E**y very recently and he has just received it!
    Well, that's one we all missed. He was the only bidder!
    As I said, from the side it looks like an ordinary Hermagis Aplanat!

This is getting very off topic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails globehermagis.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 7-Oct-2013 at 13:34. Reason: E**y information

this probably means the Hermagis Aplanat on my watch list just got a lot more expensive... !

Yes, this current Hermagis (also on my watch list - and a very close serial no. match too!) and the images in D'Agostino's book made me make an error in describing the new Hermagis Globe. Only one bidder, yes, but it was picked up on E**y a year ago!
    Sorry, Eddie if you have done searches trying to find it.

When to sell lenses? Why, after you've taken all the really good pictures out of them, of course!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White