Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland workshop with Ron Rosenstock, Sept 27 to Oct 7

Ireland workshop with Ron Rosenstock, Sept 27 to Oct 7

Greetings folks, Ron Rosenstock recently emailed me to tell me that he is putting together a SHORT NOTICE Photo Tour of Ireland this fall. It is 10 days, from September 27 through October 7, and is being organized directly through Ron, rather than the normal method, which is through an organization called Strabo Tours.

Ron is one of the most experienced photo tour leaders in Ireland, and has been running tours over there for about 30 years now, so he is very knoweledgeable of the locations, the people, and the customs of the country. His tours often go to places that are not available to the general public, simply because he knows the land owner, or has arranged special access ahead of time.

Ron has had several articles in View Camera magazine this year that were centered around the black and white printing process to take a good negative and create a high quality final print. I can tell you that the reproductions in the articles do not do justice to the quality of the printing that Ron does.

He has published several books over the last 20 years, and has worked the entire time with 8x10 and 4x5 cameras. I believe he works with the 4x5 now exclusively.

The real beauty of this tour is the cost. $1200 for the ten days. I believe the price includes all transportation in Ireland, lodging at the very comfortable Hillcrest House (owned by Ron), and breakfast and dinner made by a most excellent cook. (lunches will be out on the road). This is how the tour worked when I went last year, and I suspect it will be the same this year. Additional costs will be the airfare over to Ireland (has been running around $400 these days), lunches, and incidentals that you may choose to get while over there.

A normal tour for 10 days will often be $2000 to $2500, so this tour is a real bargain, but I can assure you that the low cost of the tour will not affect the quality of the service or the overall experience in any way. Since Ron owns the lodging and arranges the meals with a private cook, he is able to provide these services for the tour at a rate that is substantially below what an outside tour operator can arrange.

I am not affiliated with Ron in any way, but my experience with him (on a tour last year to Ireland) was very positive, and I am considering doing it again. I can offer more information on my experience with Ron to anyone (email me). If you want more information on the tour specifics, please email Ron directly, and he can fill you in on the details.

While the tour is open to all photographers, there are often other LF shooters in the group, and I found that I had plenty of time to use my 8x10 at the locations that we went. If I go this year, I may actually take the 7x17 and a small camera (4x5) to make images. I think he provides a good environment to use these big cameras as long as you are an efficient worker.

Ron's email is:

ronrosenstock@charter.net

and his website is:

www.ronrosenstock.com

If you want further information from a past tour participant, you can email me, and I'll be happy to tell you what I think of my experience with Ron.

If you email Ron directly, please tell him you saw the post on the LF Forum, so he knows where you saw the information on the workshop.

---Michael Mutmansky

Beverly Hills, California

If the tour includes a trip to the island of Skellig Michael, I'm in! :>)

Ron should be very appreciative of a non-paid spokesman like you Michael. Clearly, you are a person that personifies a level of enthusiasm and positive attitude that is a great asset to forwarding LF endevours. I would love to join you as the workshop sounds fabulous, but I already have a commitment to Michael and Paula. Hopefully, this opportunity will come up again.

Cheers!

Andre,

The tour centers around County Mayo (Westport is the base of operations). They do typically go out to Achil Island in North Mayo, but don't get to Skellig.

Mayo is more mountainous than most of the other counties, and it is also a bit removed from the traditional tour 'circles' that typical tourists take. I especially appreciated this as I've had experiences in the more travelled counties down south, and just wasn't able to connect with the place as well due to the tourist environment.

Michael,

I probabaly came off sounding like a bit of a cheerleader, and that wasn't my intention. I consider his trip to be an absolute bargain at that price and felt that others may appreciate the opportunity to go to Ireland for a very reasonable fare, especially now when the dollar is only worth about .81 Euro.

---Michael

I would not in any way consider your comments as cheerleading as I was only reaping appreciation for a very positive attitude and a very welcomed dose of enthusiasm. Your conclusions about this event are dead on as it is a no brainer as a super bargain with an excellent instructor if one can break away. It is only through supporting workshop that we all have an opportunity to get to the next level with our photography.

Cheers!

I don't know if I'd call it a 'workshop', from what I've seen, more like a photo tour.

Well Michael got me sufficiently enthused that my wife and I have signed up. I hope I have the opportunity to meet some of you there.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

I look forward to seeing you, to finally put a face to the name on the LF Forum.

I've got a friend from Seattle coming, and a few others from the LF Forum expressed interest, so there may be a good number of LF shooters in the group.

Its a very relaxing way to see Ireland, and Ron is a very gracious host, and a knowledgeable photographer, also.

Haven't decided on the 7x17 yet, though...

---Michael

It's worth pointing out that the west coast of Ireland is not short of the odd drop of rain from time to time, so go prepared for wet weather. I love this quote from the Irish Met. Office:

"The general impression is that it rains quite a lot of the time in Ireland but in fact two out of three hourly observations will not report any measurable rainfall."

So, basically, it only rains 33% of the time then... jolly good... :-)

I was in the south, around Cork, a few years ago (minus cameras: working) and there is no doubt Ireland has photogenic countryside - the more hilly north west should be even more so.

Have fun, Cheers,

the beautiful green grass has to get watered somehow!