Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Design for a 9.8ft x 10.1ft room

Re: Darkroom Design for a 9.8ft x 10.1ft room

I've completed the rough in of the electrical and plumbing. Attached are some shots of the sink and wet side with K250 Intellifaucet, 6' Elkay sink (bought it about 25 years ago) and a Delta commercial faucet. The second shot is an Elkay 32 GPM water cooled chiller which sits just outside the darkroom and the piping inside the wall (insulated). Then a shot is the Durst SM-183 frame (an 8x10 frame) where it's been for the past 7 years. The last shot of the water feed with filter just upstream of the water heater. I'll post some more shots as the work progresses!

Luis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0204.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	104446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0205.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	104447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0209.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	104448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0208s.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	104449

Photo of the wet side with the ventilation system installed, exhausting to the outside of the building. The Intellifaucet is covered for dust control.

LClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	104864

I love how you american people made everything with wood...

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Photo of the wet side with the ventilation system installed, exhausting to the outside of the building. The Intellifaucet is covered for dust control.

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	104864
    Do u have an exhaust fan?

What do u use?

There are two 12x12 Doran light tite exhaust fans mounted over the sink.

http://www.adorama.com/DKF1212.html

L

Exhaust system is finished, fur-down is enclosed, now painting. Ordering cabinets, and waiting for paint to dry to start moving in the enlargers. Note existing pegboard on entire back wall to the left.

Name:	IMG_6220.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	105028

One thought tossed my way from a lab chemist when I mentioned ventilation changing to ammonium based fixer. Sodium and Ammonium based fixers both out-gas. Issue is one vapor rises and the other falls.
    Sodium thiosuphate can be vented at near sink top level (heavy vapors) Ammonium based will want to rise. Collect them higher.

Sounds like an exciting project. Having an 8'x10' room isn't too bad. There are a lot smaller darkrooms. I'll offer a couple of suggestions.

I would put the ceiling fans towards one side of the sink and include a light-tight wall vent (or two) towards the other side. To get fumed air out, one needs to have fresh air coming in. Also in this way, the fresh air is drawn across the sink.

From your description, this will probably be the darkroom that you have ongoing. But, if you think there's any chance of moving, consider the following. I got myself a 3/4" sheet of plywood and mounted all my plumbing and developing related electronics on it. (Plumbing on one side; electronics on the other.) I used vertical 2x2's behind it on either side to mount it on the wall. After mounting it, I connect it using two hoses to hot and cold water, and I plug in a cord into 110volt wall receptical. When I move, it moves with me.

The two 2x2's leave a space behind the board for pipes and wires that I don't want seen. For the plumbing, I sweated standard copper tubing. It was quite a design process, but I have filtered water for mixing and for the temperature controller. I opted for non-filtered water for washing prints. For electronics, I have a timer, a couple of digital thermometers, a switch box that includes two switches for the two thermometers and a switch for the darkwoom lights mounted on the ceiling, and my invaluable Zone VI compensating developing timer.

The other thing that I'd recommend is a full-face mask filter for mixing powdered chemistry. No chance of that powder lodging in one's lungs.

Don't think I'll be able to take my darkroom to the nursing home..............The fresh air vents and the AC vent are at the other end of the room. The vents by the Durst, the AC by the LPL. I'll post photos of those once set up. Both are filtered, the AC at the air handler and again at the room vent.

There's way too much plumbing to move, I like the way it came out; the plumber did a good job. Behind the wall is am Elkay water cooled chiller. The chilled line goes to the cold side of the Intellifaucet, both cold & hot go to the hot side. During the summer, the cold at 80 deg provides the hot water, and the chilled at 50 deg the cold. Right now, I don't run the chiller so it comes in at around 65 deg & the hot from the water heater comes in at 120 deg.

L