Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should AA "Tetons" be on Voyager 1 + Voyager 2 (launched 1977)?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Should AA "Tetons" be on Voyager 1 + Voyager 2 (launched 1977)?

Hmmm... in 30,000 years Voyager 1 will leave the Oort cloud, and in 40,000 it will be 1.6 light years from Gliese 445.

Maybe we should affix a few more picture discs to satellites. I'm sure that all the archival prints will be well decayed by then, and hopefully Moonrise will be up there.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

all aliens will stay far away from the virus called humans......i am sure they are on a definite "no fly zone" around our galaxy.......god knows what will happen if the human virus escapes the solar system to destroy other places like they did to earth.......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Oh no, aliens will think this planet has 10 zones, but no color!
    It doesn't?!? (...spoken like a true Zoney )

That old fashioned, out of date, technologically irrelevant disc should have been wrapped in the AA printed selenium toned GSP, since it would certainly () survive both longer and without ambiguity than the disc, which I have no doubt would be summarily discarded by intellectually superior aliens as some sort of packing support for the real universal greeting, the GSP. (...spoken like a true GSP printer – or an alien???)

Drew Wiley

Maybe those aliens are discs!

Since the Voyager 1 + 2 launches in 1977, NASA has sent-up another spacecraft that will, eventually, follow them into deep space – the New Horizons probe.

It was launched 2006 to study Pluto – its arrival date is 2015. After a glance at Pluto, off into interstellar space it goes, following on the trails of Voyager 1 + 2.

However, count on intelligent life to be disappointed if they discover the New Horizons spacecraft – especially if, by then, they’ve discovered the golden disc on the two Voyager spacecraft, viewed the “Tetons” image with delight, and harbor high expectations for more.

For the New Horizons spacecraft is apparently empty of such things!

“After we got into the project in 2002, it was suggested we add a plaque and I rejected that simply as a matter of focus,” says Alan Stern, New Horizons’ principal investigator. “We had a small team on a tight budget and I knew it would be a big distraction. I didn’t want to see us being distracted from the project and find ourselves derailing the project or getting into flight and finding we had some problem and wishing we’d been more focused during development.”

If and when disappointed aliens arrive on earth seeking explanations, I just don’t think Stern’s remarks will fly. We better have a few AA prints to hand-out as a gesture of apology and conciliation. Or it’s War of the Worlds for real this time. (I’d suggest a flawless print of “Moon and Half Dome, Yosemite Valley, 1960.”)

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    However, count on intelligent life to be disappointed if they discover the New Horizons spacecraft – especially if, by then, they’ve discovered the golden disc on the two Voyager spacecraft, viewed the “Tetons” image with delight, and harbor high expectations for more.

For the New Horizons spacecraft is apparently empty of such things!
    Indeed. Sadly, my body work was ignored, despite the fact many have indicated that it is best viewed at great distance, preferably from beyond the outer solar system. Go figure.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    It was launched 2006 to study Pluto – its arrival date is 2015. After a glance at Pluto, off into interstellar space it goes, following on the trails of Voyager 1 + 2.
    YouTube cat videos. That's what would have been on it. So of course the mission director didn't want the crew to lose focus! And the aliens won't be upset with a lousy DVD of cat videos.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans