Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: weight of Rittreck View

weight of Rittreck View

Not to sell
    Cheers Shane

Re: weight of Rittreck View

Off topic, but my all metal Prewar 5X7 Linhof weighs 3480 grams with a Sironar-N 180mm in Copal shutter folded inside. Even room for a mounted filter and release cable. This one uses standard 5x7 DDS. The back does rotate and bellows go to 22 inches. It's in excellent condition and not for sale.

Just listing it for an example of quality and lightweight. I don't know why they made them so much heavier post WW II. Not necessary as far as I can tell.

I have one - PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan Karasek View Post
    The Ritteck View sounds like the camera that I need. I have a Deardorff 8x10, with reducing backs to 5x7, 4x5, 3¼x4¼ and I have several of the various sized Speed and Crown Graphic (13) but I want a dedicated 5x7, no reducing backs, no elarging backs tp 8x10. Just a straight 5x7.

Anybody have one?
    SInce you have an 8x10 Deardorff, why not a 5x7 Deardorff? Much quicker to get under the cloth and ready to make the image when cameras are similar. My old 5x7 has beenm neater for years now. I have owned, used and loved it for more than 40 years. I tried the 8x10 with reducing back but never liked it.

I'm new to LF so have a newbie question about Rittreck View. Is the body the same for all sizes, just the back varying? It looks (Ebay) like 4x5's are quite a bit less, even when adding the cost of a 5x7 back - if that works! Can't find the answer anywhere. Thanks!

The body is the same. Backs change format.

IMHO it is best as 5X7 as it is heavy for 4X5 and way clumsy as 8X10
    Tin Can

I just used my postage scale and weighed both of my Rittreck 5x7 kits with the factory 5x7 back and then also with the factory 4x5 back substituted for the 5x7 back. In both configurations, both Rittrecks weights 9 pounds 6 ounces, as others report above. No significant weight difference between using the 4x5 and 5x7 backs.

I then weighed my more or less ultra-light 5x7 folding wood camera that others on this forum note may be an MSK Osaka, which the Net suggests was made by Tachihara. With a substitute wood bottom plate and small Arca Swiss plate, that camera weights an even 5 pounds, but is much less rigid than the Rittreck.

That 4 pound - 6 ounce difference may or may not be a deal-breaker for you, just as the Rittreck's better rigidity may be important. After removing some focus rail stops, I am able to comfortably use a Rittreck with a 14" Red Dot Artar with Copal 3 shutter unless the subject is closer than about 7 feet. So, it's pretty useful with heavier lenses than can be accommodated on a wood 5x7.

Given that a decent quality Rittreck goes for $300-$500, it's a significantly better deal than the metal 5x7 Canham field camera, which costs about $3,200 new.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda00 View Post
    I'm new to LF so have a newbie question about Rittreck View. Is the body the same for all sizes, just the back varying? It looks (Ebay) like 4x5's are quite a bit less, even when adding the cost of a 5x7 back - if that works! Can't find the answer anywhere. Thanks!
    The Rittreck body is the same size whether the standard 5x7 back is attached or the 4x5 reducing back. Same size, same weight regardless of which back is currently attached. I have no experience with the enlarging backs but from what I've seen, they look a bit awkward.

I've sold a fair number of Rittreck cameras, and briefly used one. As Joseph confirms, they are extremely rigid. A few people are concerned about the bellows extension, which is ~396mm. But from what I see on this forum, most people tend to use 240mm or 300mm lenses with 5x7, which are eminently usable with this camera. It is possible to use longer lenses with a Linhof Technika adapter and a set of extension rings on a Technika board.

The WP and 8x10 extension backs are okay, but not very easy to use, and then the limited bellows draw kicks in. However, the 6x10 back is a nice, if uncommon format. I have also seen a home-made 5x8 back.

Kumar

Things i like about my Rittreck 5X7

Very pretty all metal camera, mine came with a lens board adapter to use Linhof lens boards. Very handy, takes up almost no space too.

I also have the OE tilting lens hood, very strong useful design

I read somewhere, it was sold as a studio portrait camera with the very unusual feature, of Micro Focus rear tilt, perhaps to tune the eye iris focus perfectly after other adjustments

The folding metal GG hood is easy to use and keeps the folded camera GG safe from breakage

Bellows were/are available from Japan on frames until recently
    Tin Can