Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

Re: Kickstarter Projects

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I think Kickstarter is a Godsend. Now artists have another option for funding rather than going through all the red tape to obtain government grants (a very political game!). I supported the Wanderlust, I'll support more and perhaps one day soon, I'll put out my own project. A sub-forum would be good.

We're discussing it. It would break long precedent to allow non-LF discussions in the LF forums, so if we added a new Kickstarter-only forum that allowed non-LF (but still photography-related) projects, we'd have to do in the community section next to New Products.

We do already, of course, allow announcements of LF-related Kickstarter projects in this forum right here--"Announcements". Has that proved specifically inadequate to the needs?

Personally, I'm not really in favor of allowing announcements of non-LF projects--this is a noncommercial site and it's already becoming dominated by people selling things. I have always supported LF-related Kickstarter projects (both as a moderator and as a backer). But, as I said, we're discussing it.

Rick "thinking there are other photography forums for other formats" Denney

What am I missing here? In the "community" area we already have non-lf sub forums called the Lounge and For Sale/Wanted (and by default therefore the Buyer/Seller Advisories).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Keep it LF KS only.

Keep it LF KS only.
    +1

If you defined that in term of anything photographic that a large format photographer could use in his/her workflow that would be ok I think. For example the lab that posted one here who was making silver laser prints from files. If I hadn't seen that here I would not have known about it as this is one of only two photo forums I visit and the other is pure digital.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'd like a subforum of some sort if only to enable to more easily browse them. I'd also prefer for "LF" to be defined quite broadly--unless the board is overwhelmed, which hasn't happened yet.

--Darin

We're pondering a Kickstarter forum in the community section that would allow photo-related announcements "of value to the members" or something like that, similar to the for-sale forum. It would be where all Kickstarter announcements are made, including those specific to LF. Good for those who want to see them in one place, and also for those who wish to avoid them. Would this meet needs?

Rick "still deliberating" Denney

Yes, I'd like to see a place where they are localized. Unfortunately, I think it adds to the burden of the mods....just by virtue of the fact that it is yet another rule that will need to be enforced. So, maybe, in this case fewer rules is better. ?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Yes, I'd like to see a place where they are localized. Unfortunately, I think it adds to the burden of the mods....just by virtue of the fact that it is yet another rule that will need to be enforced. So, maybe, in this case fewer rules is better. ?
    What we are discussing would not be any more difficult to administer, or require more guidelines than where we are now. We would move them around a bit. If we got a flood of Kickstarter promoters who aren't regular forum participants, we'd deal with that then.

Rick "guidelines help maintain focus" Denney