Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Kickstarter Projects

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    i did do the research ... and why do you the moderators if they are so busy have to deal with this? There is so much to talk about in Large Format photography ... why is this even part of the discussion other than lounge talk.... why here? dono ...just askin....
    Artists need funding for projects. Crowdsourcing has become one of the most effective sources.

I'm working with an editor on a book project right now. For a photo book today, you generally need three things before approaching a publisher: 1) A great idea; 2) Great work; 3) $20,000, either in cash or pre-orders.

This is not a self-publishing model; it's the conventional publishing model. It reflects what publishers need for a fighting chance at breaking even. That $20,000 cash / pre-orders increasingly comes from crowdsourcing sites, like Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or Emphas.is.

I consider crowdsourcing discussions highly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Heck, why not put a Kickstarter heading in with the FS, Lounge, etc. section, then you could either view it or not.
    Good idea, seems appropriate.

Highly relevant topics.... i can think of ten that i would like to discussed here. But i would not........we are going to be flooded with this ...yes i to have thought of an art idea i could use 50 thousand for.... most of he people on this forum are "photo geeks" of a special kind.... we are a very small niche of Ansel wannabes ... i am generalizing of course... i am not saying there is no room for that kind of discussion here ..by all means talk it.... we are going to get slammed with spammers if they get a whiff of money. It will dilute the purity of the discussion on this board. Hey i have a new idea all i need is thousand dollars from you..... i get fifty emails a day like this...seriously there will be people joining just for that purpose of spamming... i do envy the moderators... maybe it needs to another topic added to the board? i dono... i get pissed when i see span here... Paul i would consider contributing to your book project if you have a place to lay out the details... maybe the sale/trade section might be the place for this....

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    i dono... i get pissed when i see spam here... Paul i would consider contributing to your book project if you have a place to lay out the details... maybe the sale/trade section might be the place for this....
    I'm as anti-spam as anyone else, which is why I think this is a good topic for the moderators to saddle with rules.

But I'm mostly responding to the question of why we're discussing this at all. I think topics about crowdfunding are important, and probably belong in the business forum.

If I were to actually announce my project here, I'd be really careful about not annoying anyone. Hitting up people for funding—when you can be pretty sure they're trying to fund their own projects—just feels like bad manners. I'll ask other photographers for help getting the word out, via Facebook or whatever. I won't ask them for money.

Re: my own project ... it's not ready yet. It will have minimum LF content, so I'm not going to make a lot of noise about it here. But I appreciate the interest!

Tag...

My partner and I are thinking of a KS to help raise money for our documentary project on the cotton mill I've been posting about...mostly because many local folks are asking, "where can we donate?" I was going to post it here, with the date of the exhibition, simply for announcement purposes, not to pander for money, so I'm interested to know the rules/specifics when they are ironed out (if they change).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Kickstarter Projects

Rick's opinion:

A Kickstarter campaign begins when it is announced and ends when the deadline for new backers is reached and backing is no longer accepted. After that, it's a project, or not. But the rule applies to solicitations for backers during the period in which backing is being accepted by Kickstarter, not to discussions of projects that were funded through Kickstarter and are ongoing, or that are being contemplated with the possibility of Kickstarter funding, outside the solicitation period.

Stated another way, it applies to solicitations for financial support, which is possible only in a period with a defined start and end as required by Kickstarter.

For example, during the Wanderlust thread, there was extended discussion of what the camera might look like and do, including a discussion of alternative designs and potential markets. Then, Ben and Justin started a Kickstarter campaign to solicit backing (in the form of advance purchases). I moved it from the equipment subforum to the New Products subforum. Our new guideline applies at that time--when it is announced.

Then, a month later, the campaign ended. Our new guideline no longer applies. Anyone can talk about the project as a project, or the camera as a camera, in new threads, but (obviously) without solicitation.

The restriction to confine discussion to that one thread applies to campaign talk.

What we don't want are 15 threads announcing the same Kickstarter project. Just as with gallery showings and other such announcements, we are asking that campaigns be announced only once.

That's how I intend to think about it, anyway. The other mods may interpret it a little differently, but I think the issue is with repeated solicitations, not with discussions of ongoing large-format-related projects.

Rick "but we'll see how it goes" Denney

Perhaps a different tone, in addition to greater clarity, in the phrasing of the new rule would be welcomed? Maybe something less hostile? ("So-called kickstarter projects...may be announced once, and once only... must be confined...will be treated as spam.")

I suggest:

"Crowd-source funding announcements (like those on Kickstarter) with significant large format content should be posted in the "Announcements" section. One thread per project, please."

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Perhaps a different tone, in addition to greater clarity, in the phrasing of the new rule would be welcomed? Maybe something less hostile? ("So-called kickstarter projects...may be announced once, and once only... must be confined...will be treated as spam.")

I suggest:

"Crowd-source funding announcements (like those on Kickstarter) with significant large format content should be posted in the "Announcements" section. One thread per project, please."

--Darin
    Excellent idea

I've gotten behind a successfully-funded Kickstarter and am happy to see artists have this venue...

Just like Gallery announcements! I like that approach. And for each member of LFF who chooses that strategy, more power!

It always amazes me how people can get so bent out of shape about Kickstarter. This is the free market at work and most of these flaky projects that seem to get people all riled up typically don't get funded. And heck, if they do then more power to that person and their backers.

Artists, inventors, marketers etc. have always needed to hustle and raise funds for their projects and online crowd-sourcing is just a new way to do it.

I have backed many worthwhile Kickstarter campaigns and I would appreciate hearing about any interesting photography ones from other members of this board.