Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanning Mounted 8x10 Film Epson Flatbed

Re: Scanning Mounted 8x10 Film Epson Flatbed

The thing about the Epson V700 (and V750?) is that the film has to be on the platen glass for anything larger than 5x7. Newton rings are a nuisance when working with the film edge guide. Sometimes we get away with no rings, other times we are plagued by them. I recently bought a sheet of ANR glass from a vendor in the USA via eBay thinking well if it doesn't make things better I'll just have to use small formats like 4x5 and 5x7. So far the results are very encouraging. The negative is placed emulsion side down on the platen glass (no tape) with the film area guide in position and the ANR glass is placed on top of the negative with the matted side in contact with the negative. This is an example of a whole plate HP5 Plus negative scanned on my V700. I cannot detect any trace of Newton Rings. Please feel free to inspect as closely as you can and let me know if you disagree as my eyesight is not as good as it used to be...

RR

I'm only a 13" macbook pro so I can't say but otherwise it looks good to me.
    Out of interest, do you have a link to the glass you bought on ebay?

Great shot too, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGard View Post
    I'm only a 13" macbook pro so I can't say but otherwise it looks good to me.
    Out of interest, do you have a link to the glass you bought on ebay?
    Item number: 181348940986

RR

Are you talking about anti-newton rings.
    Just curious. Is anti reflection glass the same.

Quote Originally Posted by old time photo View Post
    Are you talking about anti-newton rings.
    Just curious. Is anti reflection glass the same.
    Yes Anti Newton Ring = ANR. Anti reflection glass is different. I decided to go for the dearer ANR sheet for 8x10 (it is slightly larger) on the principle that buying cheap is expensive in the end if it doesn't work...

RR

Good pointer... what say you about the betterscanning stuff? Too expensive to experiment with?

I have the Betterscanning gear for the V750.
    I use it with MF and 4x5, and it gives much better results than using the stock Epson holders; a difference of 2-3mm in height contributes to much-improved sharpness.
    Since scanning 8x10 directly on the platen uses a different lens in the scanner, I tape down the 8x10 neg, or place ANR glass on top of it, just as Rod suggested.

Anti-reflection (AR) glass has a coating on it to minimize reflection, just like coated lenses do. Using AR glass will minimize but not eliminate Newton's rings. This glass can be hard to clean without damage, depending on the coating. The coating tends to be much less sophisticated than the ones on good lenses.

Anti-glare glass is used in picture framing to spread out bright reflects to attempt to make them less noticeable. It has a fairly coarse texture on at least one side, and it lowers the sharpness and tonal range of the print. I don't use it in picture frames. Yuck. It is cheap, though, and one-sided versions will eliminate Newton's rings when used to hold down a negative, but the texture might be visible in the scan. The only way to know is to test it. It's available at local framing shops and Home Depot type store.

Anti Newton Glass has a texture on one side, and the texture is supposed to be fine enough to not show when the glass is used to hold down a negative. Manufacturers vary in quality. Focal Point in Florida is a source. I've used their stuff, both in my photo enlargers and with my scanner. It works well, but it's fairly expensive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGard View Post
    Good pointer... what say you about the betterscanning stuff? Too expensive to experiment with?
    I use Betterscanning stuff for 120 and like it although the 4x5 holder that comes with the scanner is remarkably good in use.... As far as I am aware there is no offering from Betterscanning to deal with the problem of sheet film bigger than 5x7 on the V700 (and V750?)

RR