Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 on the cheap side

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: 11x14 on the cheap side

Cheap and sharp: and older process lens, (like the kind David Vickery mentioned, especially the Kodaks).

Cheap and fast: a long-ish projector lens, like a Buhl or Beseler. These are almost all triplets, and you'll need to cut the barrel for a Waterhouse Stop, if you want aperture control.

But if you're going through the trouble and expense of the 11x14 format, it seems a shame to skimp on the thing that actually makes the picture. For a little more, you might find a 450mm M or Q Nikkor in a Copal shutter, or something similar. And remember, a small scratch or two on an element won't affect performance, but will drop the value way down.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The Wollensak 16" Velostigmat (f-6.3) triple convertible in a Betax shutter is also a good very price friendly alternative ... It was made for 11X14, is sharp and convertible, and the Betax shutters are sturdy performers.

One note on camera design ... make sure your lens board size is sufficient to handle the type of lenses you want to shoot ... I'd suggest a minimum size of 6" x 6" ... 11 x14 lenses tend to be big.

You might also send a PM (personal message) to Jim Fitzgerald and some of the other experienced camera builders on this Forum when you get into the design phase ... there's nothing like experienced advice to help you along ... and Jim's a very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful guide.

SF Bay Area 94303

I have read that 14 in Commercial Ektars cover 11X14, maybe not cheap enough....

You can get the ubiquitous Turner Reich 8X10 lenses sometimes for less than $200. They'll just cover 1114 I think, but the rear element alone is a 19" lens that would cover in spades, and if you've got bellows galore, the 25" or 28" rear will cover oodles.

Jim mentions the poor man's convertible, which is actually a fine lens. Also, I've had several relatively cheap Protar VIIs that cover 11x14. Look up the right lengths you'll need in the catalog on Cameraeccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Jim mentions the poor man's convertible, which is actually a fine lens. Also, I've had several relatively cheap Protar VIIs that cover 11x14. Look up the right lengths you'll need in the catalog on Cameraeccentric.
    Same goes for the Wollensak Series 1 (old version, I like very much) and the newer Series 1a that I've never cared much for. These are convertibles and will cover 11X14 combined but will cover much better as single anastigmats like mentioned above.

I've made an offer to a seller on ebay and i bought a Rodenstock 480 F9 apo-ronar. I'm eager to receive it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    One note on camera design ... make sure your lens board size is sufficient to handle the type of lenses you want to shoot ... I'd suggest a minimum size of 6" x 6" ... 11 x14 lenses tend to be big.

You might also send a PM (personal message) to Jim Fitzgerald and some of the other experienced camera builders on this Forum when you get into the design phase ... there's nothing like experienced advice to help you along ... and Jim's a very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful guide.
    Jim, thank you very much for the heads up on the lens board! I've read a mr.Fitzgeralds and others thread on the diy department but i don't feel comfortable bothering them with questions yet.. The info i got here is more than i expected

I'll get to work when the lens arrives. I know that the film holder will be a real pain to get right but i was thinking about building a one off to get me started and then a reduction back for 8x10 film holders that i'll buy used online.

Just out of curiosity, how is this project going?

Thanks.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I think I saw a 15" Ilex process lens on the bay for 50.00. I have two of these lenses. Covers my 11x14 and my 8x20. Sharp as hell and cheap! F-9. So a 375-380 barrel lens that is a sleeper in my opinion. I use mine as my standard lens on my 11x14.

Jim's recommendation of the Ilex is spot on.