Thread: Louisiana/Mississippi

That's a camera?

Louisiana/Mississippi

I am heading down to New Orleans for a holiday in the third week of October. I plan on taking 5 or 6 days at the start of the trip to head into Mississippi and/or west Louisina (and bayou country) before spending a few days in New Orleans. I may bring a 4x5 with me, but I plan mainly on getting an idea of what the southern US is really like compared to what I've seen in the movies, TV, etc.

Any suggestions about small towns, interesting sites, etc. would be appreciated (photographic or not).

Cheers,

Doug

Re: Louisiana/Mississippi

Watch out you may be considered a Yankee!

New Orleans, LA

Doug, feel free to PM me; I may be able to help you. I live in New Orleans and I'm from a small town in South Louisiana. Right off the bat I'd recommend you take Hwy 90 West to Lafayette. Lots of small towns, bayous, etc. along the way and you'll end up in the best place to hear Cajun music. South of Lafayette is Abbeville, very picturesque. One thing to take note of is that New Orleans is not in the South. We're more like the northern-most outpost of the Caribbean. Think of some things you'd like to do or see and I'll do my best to help you out.

Photo-related galleries:

http://www.agallery.com/index.html
    http://neworleansphotoalliance.org/event.php?id=158

Don't miss Saturday morning Zydeco Breakfast at Cafe Des Amis:

http://www.cafedesamis.com/

Not a good LF venue, but good for small cameras. Music starts at 8:30, tables for breakfast fill by about 7:45, but you can stand at the bar. Breakfast is good, the atmosphere is great. A few snaps:

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/c1a-des-amis/ - warning, not LF

This is in Breaux Bridge, which is just east of Lafayette. Then drive on into Baton Rouge and see the state capital. It is an unbelievable art deco building inside, and pure Soviet Realist outside. The statute of Huey Long in front is also his tomb. Take the elevator to the top for view of the countryside. It is so flat that you can see NO if it is clear - but since we do not believe in environmental law enforcement, it is not clear very often.

I would drive down to LA on Highway 61 from the north through Mississippi. This will take you on the old plantation road through Vicksburg and Natchez Mississippi, down to St. Francisville, LA. See the Civil war memorial in Vicksburg, and the Confederate Cemetery, which is part of the old city cemetery. On the way down to Natchez, see the ruins of Windsor Plantation (a good LF site). Visit some of the plantations on the way down. If you are a True Blood fan, it uses exteriors of Longwood Plantation for exteriors of the Mississippi vampire king's home. If you tour Longwood, they will let you shoot LF in the unfinished upper stories.

There is a great bed and breakfast and restaurant at Dunleith Plantation in Natchez. When you get to St Francisville, cross the river and got the Old River Control Structure , one of the engineering marvels of the US and very LF friendly. Then you can follow the river down to Cajun country.

That's a camera?

Ron: Yeah. I'm sure I will get mistaken for a northener, I'll just have to explain how far north.

D.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

...One thing to take note of is that New Orleans is not in the South...
    Not only that, but its always been considered an alternative to the United States.

Thomas - A native of The City

That's a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Not only that, but its always been considered an alternative to the United States.

Thomas - A native of The City
    Noted Thom and TG.

That's a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Doug, feel free to PM me; I may be able to help you. I live in New Orleans and I'm from a small town in South Louisiana. Right off the bat I'd recommend you take Hwy 90 West to Lafayette. Lots of small towns, bayous, etc. along the way and you'll end up in the best place to hear Cajun music. South of Lafayette is Abbeville, very picturesque. One thing to take note of is that New Orleans is not in the South. We're more like the northern-most outpost of the Caribbean. Think of some things you'd like to do or see and I'll do my best to help you out.
    Thanks Thom. I will do that this weekend once I get a few thoughts in my head.