Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Out in LF

Starting Out in LF

Howdy! I just found my way into an Omega 45E with a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 210mm f6.1 lens. I'm new to this, though accustomed to medium and small formats for several years now. My biggest concern has been whether or not to invest in a daylight tank for film, or whether to go with trays. I'm used to developing rolls in tanks, but I am pretty comfortable in the dark. Thoughts?

Side note: excited to be entering into the larger world. Thanks for having me here.

Re: Starting Out in LF

Hi, and welcome aboard.

I generally prefer daylight tanks for 4x5, although I've used trays occasionally. I use trays for 8x10.

There are several different daylight tanks available for 4x5, differing in both type and detail.
    I don't know of any that are perfect.

I prefer the squarish tanks that hold the film relatively flat, vertically, as opposed to those that
    try to twist it around in a circle.

I expect you'll get a lot of different opinions.
    Everybody tends to promote the technique with which they achieve the best success.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

If you're shooting B&W give trays a try first. You may like it! Don't spend money on more gear unless you have too (you'll spend enough of that on film, paper and chemicals)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchleton View Post
    Howdy! I just found my way into an Omega 45E with a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 210mm f6.1 lens. I'm new to this, though accustomed to medium and small formats for several years now. My biggest concern has been whether or not to invest in a daylight tank for film, or whether to go with trays. I'm used to developing rolls in tanks, but I am pretty comfortable in the dark. Thoughts?

Side note: excited to be entering into the larger world. Thanks for having me here.
    I'd start with inexpensive trays. Some of the alternative processing equipment can be pretty expensive, so getting some LF experience first may help your choice of the following:

Combiplan
    Mod 45
    Patterson Orbital
    Beselr and Ciba Print Drums on roller base
    BTZ tubes
    Jobo Print Drums on Jobo processor
    Jobo 4500 4x5 film drums/reels with inversion processing or on a Jobo processor
    Jobo Expert Drums on Jobo processor
    Jobo Expert Drums on roller base
    Nitrogen burst tanks
    Dip and dunk tanks
    Versamat
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Mod 45
    Actually, it is "MOD54".
    http://www.mod54.com/about.php

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Actually, it is "MOD54".
    http://www.mod54.com/about.php
    Those British...don't they know you can't buy 5x4 film in the USA...

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Those British...don't they know you can't buy 5x4 film in the USA...
    ____

I always thought... That 4x5 Film was for 'Horizontals' and that 5x4 Film -- Was just for 'Verticals'!

-Tim.
    ________

When I started, I asked all the same questions but, you'll never find the right answer here. I discovered (for me) the journey was the destination. I have tried Paterson Orbital, Unicolor Tanks, Trays, Dip & Dunk, Vertical Stand Development, Yankee Daylight tanks, etc. At the same time, you'll want to know which developer is "best." I did too and have used various Pyro formulas, Rodinal, D-76, Ilford developoers, HC-110, blah blah blah.

My point is, the fact that you're even asking the question, leads me to believe that you're curious: Just go with it. Everyone will tell you the best course is to nail down your materials and process and just focus on the image capture and the art of printing.

That's great if you're wired that way, if not, don't fight it.

Some good points out there for sure. I think I'm going to cut some RC to shoot and practice developing that in trays under safelight then darkness. Get some practice in. I have 5x7 trays already so that's also cheapest. Having a hard enough time just getting a film holder. Investing in a tank is low on the list. Thanks everyone!

You cannot develop film under a safelight, except for some really exotic emulsions.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.