Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great app for managing your Film Holders

Re: Great app for managing your Film Holders

I tried that app and the UI is horrible. Any app that has not been touched by the developer since its release more then 2 years ago is not going to be good.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I used a Brother P-Touch 2430 PC label printer to create numbers from 0 to 200 in order to number each side of my sheet film holders. (I do not yet have 100 holders, but I am close.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130912_013044.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	101767

This week and next I am going to file notches into the end flaps that match the Brother label numbers. The files create gaps that are rectangular, triangular and half-round. Using those three shapes I can create a number code that runs from 0 to 999 - far more than enough.

When I am creating photographs, I make notes in a hard back 5x7 inch book that includes subject, exposure, sheet film holder side, etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130912_014047.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	101768

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    I tried that app and the UI is horrible. Any app that has not been touched by the developer since its release more then 2 years ago is not going to be good.
    Really? I thought its a pretty good UI for a free app.

Do or do not. There is no try.

The UI could be better, but hey, it's free and it's better than I could do.

One thing that would have been nice would be to have it already aware of some or all films from Foma/Fuji/Ilford/Kodak. Face it, there just aren't that many choices in LF film anymore, this wouldn't be too hard and would simplify initial setup.
    But this is all academic, I doubt the developer reads this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Geez whatever happened to paper and pencil. The day I need any "app" that has anything to do with LF I'm throwing in the towel.
    I'm with you.

I must confess that the input to these things detract me from the photographic mood since they tend to be cumbersome (phones keyboards and menu navigation) and lenghty in duration. This is not a statement regarding this particular app, but any app that requires database input in the field. It just does not work for me. I use the pencil and notebook approach and when really in a hurry I do use my phone but just to make an oral recording for later input (hand-written). This funcionality (voice recording) could help some photographers. Another thing that has led to my general disbelief for these on the field information gathering apps is their inherent incapability to cope with change. One's deepening into the wonders of development and printing will inevitabely lead to different needs for data collection during exposure which most probably give rise to a frustration in the use of the app.
    It's a nice effort, no doubt, but a voice recognition for fast filling of the fields and a customizable and easy to set up database field configuration would certainly make it much, much better. For me, at least.
    raul

Note to self: Bring sizable towel to throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Note to self: Bring sizable towel to throw in.
    Hang in there - it was great of you to post about this. I do have one question - can you save the info you typed in during the shoot? Or does it go away when you hit the unload button?

Yea i like it but there would be a few suggestions i could make to make input faster. When i take pictures i dont want to fiddle with my phone.

Eric

Dana uses my iPod when shooting LF pinhole, one app has a pinhole light meter and then she uses the built in timer.

I will download it and she if she wishes to use it for her holders. I use the "carry pencil and paper and forget to use either of them" system.

Ivan