Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great app for managing your Film Holders

Re: Great app for managing your Film Holders

I would use this app if it had a direct link to the record function so that info could be entered in via the spoken word rather than written or worst typed into an Iphone with auto spell correct.
    Nice, hope to see that feature become reality.
    Cheers!

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Interesting app. I agree that it should alow audio notes and a button to associate a ihone photo to the film holder records. Also, something about A and B side would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Geez whatever happened to paper and pencil. The day I need any "app" that has anything to do with LF I'm throwing in the towel.
    So much for bucking the stereotype that LF photographers are luddites.

I tried it, but keeping in the habit of using it was difficult for some reason. I've never been a good note taker.

Also, since it's on IOS I have to remember to take my old iPhone after switching to android.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

B&W LF

It looks like the app is no longer in the app store unfortunately, or maybe my iTunes and Apple Store apps are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I used a Brother P-Touch 2430 PC label printer to create numbers from 0 to 200 in order to number each side of my sheet film holders. (I do not yet have 100 holders, but I am close.)
    Attachment 101767

This week and next I am going to file notches into the end flaps that match the Brother label numbers. The files create gaps that are rectangular, triangular and half-round. Using those three shapes I can create a number code that runs from 0 to 999 - far more than enough.

When I am creating photographs, I make notes in a hard back 5x7 inch book that includes subject, exposure, sheet film holder side, etc.
    Attachment 101768
    One thing I forgot to include in that posting was that I created an Excel spreadsheet in which I keep track of each of my over one hundred 4x5" sheet film holders:

* it's numbers (each side is unique; I don't use "A" / "B")
    * when I bought it
    * where I bought it
    * how much I paid
    * the condition it was in when I bought it (if not new)
    * how I cleaned it, if needed
    * any problems that show up when I use it
    * etc.

This way if I ever want to buy more from a particular seller (or don't, in the case of problems) then I know my history with it.

My only interaction with the spreadsheet is when I purchase a sheet film holder and then later if it turns out to have a problem. Otherwise, I just keep written records in a 5x7" hard-backed notebook that are created when I expose the film and after developing.

A crappy cell phone screen shot of the Excel spreadsheet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170814_052342.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	168415
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 14-Aug-2017 at 02:29. Reason: Cleaning up my prose.

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    Eric

Dana uses my iPod when shooting LF pinhole, one app has a pinhole light meter and then she uses the built in timer.

I will download it and she if she wishes to use it for her holders. I use the "carry pencil and paper and forget to use either of them" system.

Ivan
    "I use the carry pencil and paper and forget to use either of them system" - so it's not just me?....I feel better now...thanks Ivan!

Quote Originally Posted by thomasfallon View Post
    I'd want to carry a notebook why, when I have my phone in my pocket?
    Batteries? Electronic failures? Ease of seeing in bright light conditions?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by bwlf View Post
    It looks like the app is no longer in the app store unfortunately, or maybe my iTunes and Apple Store apps are broken.
    Like a pencil?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I must be doing it completely wrong, I've never taken a note of what I shot, camera settings, or what sheet was in which holder to date.

Why would I need to?

Granted I'm still (just) this side of 50, so maybe all will become clear in time (or less clear?).

I've done many things wrong in photography, but the notes I took on photos taken with a Univex Mercury II camera in 1952 made those mistakes a valuable learning experience.