Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acadia NP

Acadia NP

Instead of a party for my upcoming birthday at the end of October my wife suggested a short trip.

My choice was Acadia NP, about 6 or 7 hours from our home in CT. We were last there about 40 or so years ago.

Any suggestions for areas to photograph, sites to visit, places to eat would be most appreciated.

I will be bring my 4x5 and a new Nikon D600.

Thanks,

Barry.

zonedoc@cox.net

zonedoc@aol.com

Re: Acadia NP

If you want to make photos, stay out of Bah Hahbah as much as possible and be in the park. Nice place. Unlike some west coast photographers suggest, there is MUCH to see by adventuring out of sight of your car and on to the trails.

I had a great time hiking Champlain mountain, and hiking around Jordan Pond and Bubble pond. Haven't been there for a while. A boat excursion around the island would be interesting. I've been by on a boat, but never been around.

Cadillac mountain at sunrise, Bass Harbor LH at sunset. Wild Gardens of Acadia. Boulder beach. SW Harbor. Corea, Maine. Schoodic pennisula area of the park is beautiful and no one is there. Stonington, Maine at sunrise but you need high tide. You might want to purchase a newsletter called "Photograph America." You can buy the Acadia back issue for a few dollars and it has great information.

I recall Seal Harbor as well as those already mentioned but it was many years ago. Would love to get back there the New England coast is one of my favs .

David Schaller

I like the Southwest Hatbor side of the park. There is a lot to see on that side. As others have said, hike a little ways off the road and the crush of tourists disappears.
    Dave

The lichens and other flora at the top of Cadillac mountain are interesting and have very subtle color (helped I'm sure by the near foggy conditions we were in when we were up there), so might be an option if you shoot color.

Schoodic Point, especially in the morning.

I like Stonington at low tide, myself.

There's a wonderful little place in Winter Harbor that has great clam rolls.

And yup, Corea, too - the quintessential lobster fishing village.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Many thanks for all the suggestions.
    Barry.

Drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain and park your car, then walk DOWN any of the trails. When you get to the bottom or get tired just walk the short distance to the road and hitch-hike (stick out your thumb) back to the top. People are very good about giving rides to old men carrying cameras.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Looks as if the "Tea Party" radicals in Congress will close the National Parks. The trip may be off.