Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Polaroid 405 film holder only fits some 4x5 cameras?

The Polaroid 405 film holder only fits some 4x5 cameras?

The Polaroid 405 film holder only fits some 4x5 cameras?
    Uh Oh!

I am finding out that the Polaroid 405 holder does NOT fit all 4x5 cameras.

After extensive search on the web the Graflex and Graphic cameras seem to have a 50/50 chance of the 405 film holder fitting and working.

Sometimes the 405 can work if the plastic lip where the film comes out is filed down.

Sometimes the spring back can be fitted with spacers to accomodate the thickness of the 405.

Polaroid 405 holders have increased in popularity in recent times, it would be good to know which cameras it works on and which cameras it does not.

I think this will be a very useful thread, here we could compile a list of 4x5 camera models that the 405 works well on and the camera models where the 405 does not fit.

Also we could list the 4x5 cameras that are easily modified or where filing down the lip a bit on the 405 will make it work.

Another interesting aspect is whether or not you can insert and withdraw the darkslide once the 405 holder is in place on the camera as this can greatly influence this holder's convenience and usefullness to some photographers.

Anyway, Hopefully we can come up with a great list of "Fit" and "MissFit" for the 405 holder along with practical easy Modifications.

There are a lot of really sharp people here on LFPF and I think this will be a great useful thread that will be referred to and contributed to a lot.

Name: ______William Booth

Re: The Polaroid 405 film holder only fits some 4x5 cameras?

With the Graflex cameras, it isn't really a matter of chance. If the camera has a Graflok back, the Polaroid/Fuji holders will fit. If it has a Graphic (spring) back, the Polaroid/Fuji holders will not fit or will be exceedingly tight.

On that basis, you might say that Pacemaker Graphics, Anniversary Speeders, Top-Mounted Rangefinder Crowns, and Super Graphics are likely to be FITs.

Earlier models are likely to be MISSes.

But really, for a Graflex camera, just check for a Graflok back.

-William

Actually Steve, I think the issue is sometimes the 405 holder.

There are some 405 holders floating around that have a slightly different placement of the "window" and lip/ridge, than a normal 405. I believe that these were actually made by a 3rd party - the one I had had no markings on it whatsoever. It was curious, as it worked perfectly on the camera you built for me, but it didn't work on any other camera - not any of my cameras with a Graflok, including Crown/Speed Graphics, Toyo GII, or my Chamonix. The ridge prevented it from seating.

I believe some were made to "center" the 3x4 image in the 4x5 area, while others are butted up against one side or the other.

I got rid of that back, and now my two normal Polaroid-brand 405's work perfectly on ALL my cameras.

I have seen on eBay ones JUST like the one that I had. One seller even mentioned that it didn't fit his camera, and he was unsure why, so he was selling it. Oh yeah - also, as you mentioned, the darkslide was an issue on the Polaroid 900 / Xenotar. It was hard to grab, and, when I took the holder out of the camera, it almost always pulled the darkslide out and ruined a sheet. Annoying!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Keep the posts coming in Gentlemen!

I am going to post the clearance dimensions needed on one's camera back plate such that one can measure their camera to see if it will fit.

It will be a while though as I am currently out of 405's, as soon as my machinist makes me more of the plates I will get the details and photos posted, sorry I don't have it now for you all.

I am most enthused that the mysteries about the standard 405 will be revealed accurately and that this thread will be one's last stop for info on who fits what regarding the 405 back.

Johnielvis has brought some great info about the existance of "Variant" models of 405's along with Corran reporting the existance of off the wall 405's hence this adds to the mysteries a bit, Some of the oddball 405's will definately be of use to someone, just need to post the differences of samples found.....

As for thickness, if two film holders (stacked) will fit under the ground glass, the 405 will fit that way. The original chamonix 45n-1's graflock style tabs were too sloppy to hold my polaroid holders tight against the back. Unser the ground glass was fine.

Weird, my Chamonix 45n-1's tabs are super-tight and work perfectly on both 405's I have. Is there anything to tighten them down?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

This is WEIRD!

I have been selling perhaps the more rare version of the Polaroid 405! I have not seen another version like the ones I have been making.

The version I have has the film opening perfectly centered in the 4x5 opening, the more common 405 the film opening is shifted hard to the right.

The version I have been producing and selling works perfectly well on an Alpenhause 110B or 110B/900 Version 4x5 camera, the 405 opening is centered over the 4x5 opening whereas the more common Polaroid 405 is shifted to the right in the 4x5 opening.

After selling almost 40 of theses unusual 405s the Graflex and the Speed Graphic cameras are the most likely for this 405 of mine NOT to fit! But it is funny how many 4x5 cameras these fit well.

Should I discontinue producing these rather rare versions of 405 back? I don't think so..... they are too good a match on the Alpenhause Polaroid 110B/900, everything is centered.

The more common off center 405? Yes, I will make these in the future, they seem to fit more 4x5 cameras even though they are "Off Center" and shifted to the right they do seem to as a whole fit more models of 4x5 camera than my centered rare or old version 405s do.

Lucky me! The one and only Polaroid 405 back I ever had was one of these "Centered" image versions, this is the one my machinist perfectly replicated for me to sell on the various venues, Amazing! only 3 or 4 people had issues fitting these to their 4x5 cameras out of 40 units! The Cameras? All of them Graflex products with the "Universal" Graflock back.

OK! Here is the great info for everyone, The photos show you the difference of these 405 versions, the first photo is the version I have been selling, note that the image will be in the center of the 4x5 frame.

The second photo is what I perceive as the more common version of the Polaroid 405, Note that the Fuji PA-145 is darn near identical in that the opening is shifted hard to the right in relation to the 4x5 frame opening.

The third image? Go figure...... this 405 lacks the latching ridge found on most 4x5 film holders, I am thinking if someone is not paying attention when the pull the tabs they will inadvertently pull this 405 out of the camera! LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405Black2.jpg   $_57.jpg   $_57 (1).jpg  

I just performed a search on Google, The only 405s that are centered like mine oddly enough are my photos!

I should claim the version I had my machinist reproduce (Faceplate) as the "Alpenhause Version 405"

A statement like this is bound to stir the Ire of "Forum Rats" and other "Forum Flamers"! But really, someone out there can shed some light on what and why these unusual 405s I have been producing do not match the more common 405 along with a bit of history, How many versions did Polaroid make of the 405? And.... Why?

I am pretty sure my version of 405 was made by Polaroid because the faceplate was die cast aluminum or a regular casting, doubtful it was some "Aftermarket" 405. I am not for sure about this....

I'm curious, is there a difference relative to the position the film emulsion (Fp-100C) between the centered and off-centered holders?
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    I'm curious, is there a difference relative to the position the film emulsion (Fp-100C) between the centered and off-centered holders?
    Yes, There is, The centered holder places the sensitive emulsion in the center of the 4x5 opening.

The off-centered holder places the sensitive emulsion to the right of the 4x5 opening.

Both holders do indeed expose the entire 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" image of the instant film, no cut-off.