Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Plates (handmade) - Tips & Tricks, Experiences & Examples . . .

Re: Dry Plates (handmade) - Tips & Tricks, Experiences & Examples . . .

I've been thinking of trying dry plate for the past year. I like the look of plates but don't think wet plate is practical for the cold clime I live in. In the "good old days," wouldn't the ISO speed be much higher than ISO 1?

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    Wonderful recent image!
    I sure am enjoying hearing of the adventure and process!
    Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Looking forward to seeing more of this, really wanting to do dry plate stuff in the next few years.
    I sense that there's oodles of interest out there, but few practitioners. Dry plate as I am practicing it has fulfilled many of my wishes for a convenient "handmade plate". It took me quite a while to actually go from "contemplating" to actually "making plates" also. Now that I look back, it was quite a hurdle to jump. But, now it's second nature. I would be thrilled to see more folks jump on the bandwagon. But just to advise . . . this bandwagon has nobody in the driver's seat. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brassai View Post
    I've been thinking of trying dry plate for the past year. I like the look of plates but don't think wet plate is practical for the cold clime I live in. In the "good old days," wouldn't the ISO speed be much higher than ISO 1?
    I'm sure manufactured plates were perty speedy at one time. I would have to further my research to find accurate ASA/ISO speeds. I'll see what I can find.

For myself, I find a speed of 1 works very well since I use the lens cap and a stop-watch for timing exposures. I actually prefer exposures to be 2 seconds or longer. That way I can time them accurately.
    Last edited by DannL; 12-May-2014 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    I sense that there's oodles of interest out there, but few practitioners. Dry plate as I am practicing it has fulfilled many of my wishes for a convenient "handmade plate". It took me quite a while to actually go from "contemplating" to actually "making plates" also. Now that I look back, it was quite a hurdle to jump. But, now it's second nature. I would be thrilled to see more folks jump on the bandwagon. But just to advise . . . this bandwagon has nobody in the driver's seat. :-)
    Perhaps not, but I'd like to think I've drawn up a few star charts. Nice to see someone else working the medium.
    d
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Perhaps not, but I'd like to think I've drawn up a few star charts. Nice to see someone else working the medium.
    d
    Denise, I hope you realize that your work, and your published findings, will "without a doubt" be the foundation for much of my dry plate work. I have frequented your web-site many times, looking for information on the process. And I just wanted to say "Thank You".

I'd be all for attempting to take the helm if I had (or had access to) a darkroom currently. Hell, right now I don't even have a view camera (which feels weird to type, but it's just a temporary state). The next couple of years will bring the needed location changes and equipment additions.

I will also say, though, that part of my interest is with shooting tiny dry plates using the cut film holders I have for my Hasselblad. The pressure plate is removable specifically for use with glass plates. So...cute little squares of homemade dry-plate goodness? I'm down for that, and may even be able to find a way to make that work in my apartment.

Those Hasselblad holders should accommodate a 6x6 plate . . . is that correct? I had considered making a sub-miniature plate camera. That, I thought, would be a fun and interesting project.
    Last edited by DannL; 13-May-2014 at 10:19. Reason: To edit.

Here's a web site that has some information at the bottom of the page, plus charts for the various plate speeds. Now if I can find some plate advertisements that mention these speeds, I think we'll be in business.

Those Hasselblad holders should accommodate a 6x6 plate . . . is that correct? I had considered making a sub-miniature plate camera. That, I thought, would be a fun and interesting project.
    Yes, 6x6cm plates. Right now I have them loaded with squares of tech pan (exp 1996) I cut off a roll.

Well, I didn't need to go very far to find some plate speeds . . . . http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_F13.html

Combined with the speed charts from the previous page, we can get an idea of some plate speeds that were available. Ilford Ordinary plate appears to be about 11 or 12 ASA, and the Special Rapid maybe around 19 ASA. One Ilford plate there looks like it was a speedy 64 ASA.

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/meters.html#Plate%20and%20Film%20Speed%20Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Yes, 6x6cm plates. Right now I have them loaded with squares of tech pan (exp 1996) I cut off a roll.
    If you were to coat plates I assume you will be using glass. I just recalled that years ago I had boxes of 2"x2" slide glass . . . Like This on Ebay

That would be very convenient if they fit the holders.