Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Billy the Kid plate?

Another Billy the Kid plate?

I see my old town has found another, they believe. What do you think? I used to live in las Cruces, right across the road from my house, in the desert was where Pat Garrett was shot and killed too.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29...ntcmp=features

Re: Another Billy the Kid plate?

I think it's Uncle Earl.

Drew Wiley

Well, being announced on Fox News, I suspect Billy the Kid is now a member of the House of Representatives espousing certain libertarian and firearms rights views....
    but I'm about two inches from getting banned for politics, so you can fill in the details ....

Well, if I could close my own thread I would. No commentary about the actual plate, history, process has been made. This forum is really in the doldrums.

Could be him! He certainly wasn't camera shy.

FWIW, las Cruces was our second favorite road trip from my home in Roswell, NM.
    The first was a short trip to Ruidoso.

I think it's him, judging from the shape of the ears in the confirmed photo and this new one, it appears to be the same ��

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I see my old town has found another, they believe. What do you think? I used to live in las Cruces, right across the road from my house, in the desert was where Pat Garrett was shot and killed too.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29...ntcmp=features

Neither are the kid or Dan Dedrick. Billy had clear blue eyes but dark wavy, almost curly hair. Dedrick had narrow, dark eyes. Sallie Chisum collected a tintype of Dan Dedrick. I wonder if it was taken when the famous Upham photo of the kid was taken, because the two tintypes look similar. Neither are in very good condition. I suspect the tintyper wasn't very skilled. Here is Sallie's photograph of who I suspect is Dan.

I forgot about this post I started years ago. But I did see that tintype the past few weeks, when I was researching the "new" find where Billy is playing crochet.

I thought the photo I referenced has been authenticated, but looking it up again, I'm not seeing that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I forgot about this post I started years ago. But I did see that tintype the past few weeks, when I was researching the "new" find where Billy is playing crochet.

I thought the photo I referenced has been authenticated, but looking it up again, I'm not seeing that for sure.
    Having a photograph authenticated is extremely difficult. Few "experts" want to do it because the liability issue looms.

Here is a tintype photograph of Billy the Kid. It was probably taken on the morning of 27 December 1880. Billy is in his jail cell and is posed close to the camera's lens. Jail cells not being very wide. He is cooperating, holding very still. I believe this photograph was taken to act as a "mug shot". Sallie Chisum owned this photo and I found it in a local antique store. It has been tinted so that Billy's eyes show blue and match his tie.