Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bausch and Lomb Tessar series 1c

Bausch and Lomb Tessar series 1c

hi, I'm relatively new to LF and looking for a portrait lens that will give me that antique soft focus look without breaking the bank (I can't afford the likes of a Cooke PS945) to use on my Sinar Norma. I've come across the Bausch and Lomb Tessar series 1c f4.5, does anyone have experience of using this lens? Most of the ebay listings I see for this lens come without a shutter, what shutter would I need for this lens?

thanks

Re: Bausch and Lomb Tessar series 1c

Hi, I advise to buy it already mounted in the shutter. Otherwise the lens cells may not fit into a standard shutter without custom made fittings, ie expensive.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

+1 to Jon's comment.

Y'know, age notwithstanding f/4.5 Tessars are modern lenses with the modern look. If you want the antique look, underexpose, overdevelop, and do your best to age the prints rapidly.

4x5"?

Meniscus landscape/portrait lenses in shutter from the 1890's are available at reasonable cost. Or similar, Rapid Rectilinear/Aplanat.

The B&L Tessar 1c is discussed in an article on the LF Home Page, with examples. Click on LF Home Page on the blue banner at the top of this page and go to the articles on lenses. You'll find it in there.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

thanks everyone for replying, will give it some thought whether it's really the right lens for my purposes

Crombie
    Aylmer Que., about a 15 minute drive to Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

I just picke-up a 4x5 f4.5 B&L-Zeiss Tessar series 1c stamped with Pat Feb 1903 serial #1259269. It's in excellent condition. Any idea of it's focal length and it a lense worth getting mounted in a shutter?

Thanks!

Focal length is 6 1/2".
    Worth mounting in a shutter? I would say no. This is a common lens and often available in a shutter. You will have to buy a similar lens in a shutter to get hold of the right shutter.

More data here.
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...schlomb_3.html

Crombie
    Aylmer Que., about a 15 minute drive to Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

Thanks for the focal length info and I'll take your advice and not both with a shutter. The lens is on loan and I'll return it and save a few dollars.

The Tessar 1c has a beautiful signature wide open at f/4.5 and is one of my favorite lenses. You say you're using a Norma. Get a Sinar/Copal shutter and you have all you need. I frequently see Tessar 1c's marked 5x7 or 5x8. They'll have a focal length somewhere around 210mm or 8 1/4", perfect for a portrait length for 4x5. They're in a barrel as you noted, so the Sinar shutter will work wonderfully for your application. The lenses don't have any appreciable dimension behind the lensboard, so you don't risk interference with the shutter mechanism. I use a 10x12 Tessar 1c for my Norma in the 8x10 configuration.

PM if I can help with anything.