Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hike-able step stool?

Hike-able step stool?

Has anyone discovered a step stool suitable for hiking and photography? Aside from driving a woody station wagon with a roof platform down the trail, what do you use to elevate your camera over the foreground brush? Seems there has to be a lightweight step stool or something similar that would do the trick. Three feet or so would do wonders...

Anyone have a solution?

--Darin

Re: Hike-able step stool?

Hi Darin,

I haven't done any serious hiking for years, though back in the 70s I was pretty hardcore. I still have a first edition of Collen Fletcher's book.

My recollection is that on the trail and out there, the number of folks who carried around any kind of stool were few and far between. With modern materials and design there might be something light enough (22 oz to 36 oz?) to pack along and strong enough to stand on, but c'mon Darin; would YOU add another pound-and-a-half or two pounds?

In terms of raw backpacking: Two pounds is a quart of water or food for tomorrow.

In terms of LF photography: Two pounds is extra film and a changing bag, or another lens, a more regid tripod or head.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hey Drew,

But just think of the photographic possibilities that would open up if you could shoot from a more elevated position. Look at all those Ansel Adams photos! The elevated position is often very much part of the look! Given modern materials it would be cool to have a step stool of some sort, even if it was very expensive...

--Darin

Darin,

If you just gotta have it: Get a small CF tripod (legs only) and rig up a short board to screw onto the legs. Unless you have the stature of an NFL tackle, it should (probaby) hold you for short perids. This tripod can double as . . .well, as a tripod. . .for low-down support or for a short scramble.

Think that would work?

How high up do you want to get?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Has anyone discovered a step stool suitable for hiking and photography? Aside from driving a woody station wagon with a roof platform down the trail, what do you use to elevate your camera over the foreground brush? Seems there has to be a lightweight step stool or something similar that would do the trick. Three feet or so would do wonders...

Anyone have a solution?

--Darin
    A step stool will give you a foot and a half. 3-4 feet is a small ladder.

With a small ladder for you to stand on plus a tripod that goes 3-4 feet taller then your normal tripod so that the camera is brought up to the same hight as you on the small ladder added to your normal photo gear your not going to wanna "hike" more then 100 yards.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

So you find a step stool to get YOU higher, what about the camera? I have a tripod that gets me to 11ft but it's useless without a ladder and a sherpa to carry it all

Darrin,

At first I thought you wanted something to backpack into the back-country.

I have looked at some of your website now. For the images in the urban setting, and the battlefield group too, a pull-along cart would work. There are threads here on this board with descriptions and ideas from LF photographers who have used, or modified and used, golf-bag carts or jogging strollers to carry their bulkily/heavy gear. Admittedly, this is not hiking or backpacking, and it will n only deal with areas that are wheel-chair accessible or nearly so.

Baby Jogger
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=Cart

Golf Bag Pull Cart
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=Cart

If you give this option some thought, it will allow you to bring along about anything you want. It will constrict your options as to location (little true wilderness) but will get you the perspective you are looking for.

Imagine a household sized step ladder with a ball head screwed to the top platform. You might need to use tent stakes and rope to steady it . . . don't fall off.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 25-Aug-2013 at 08:48.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Got a warning on that site.

Their https is not certified.

I try to be careful...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Tin Can