Thread: Plugged head on an Epson R3000

Plugged head on an Epson R3000

Haven't used my R3000 for a month but install a new PK (pro black) cart right before we left town in July... now the PK head is blocked up and 5x nozzle cleanings haven't budged it.

Is it better to just install a new PK cart or is there a trick to getting this unclogged?

I usually do a little office printing with the R3000 to keep ink flowing but this time it sat too long....

Thanks

Re: Plugged head on an Epson R3000

My only suggestion would be an ultrasonic cleaner, but I doubt the results would be satisfactory.

Next time wait until you return to change the ink.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I see some references to techniques where you either remove and soak the heads or inject them with cleaners. Anyone have any experience with this?

How about finding service? I live in Upstate NY.

That's why I bought a Canon Pro 1, sick of Epson.
    Tin Can

Hmm my previous HPs and Canons never won any loyalty from me... I think they all are built cheaply and are designed to waste expensive ink.

All is well now... sort of, kind of like how you feel after a beating stops and you're thankful it's over because it could have been worse. I used half a cart x 8 (plus one new one that was defective) so about $175 worth of ink down the tube. What I learned (a bit too late) is that repeated software head cleanings won't do any good ~ 3x is the limit. But what really worked best was for me to simply turn the printer off and let the pads/nozzles dry out for an hour or two, then do one nozzle clean, check, turn the printer off and repeat. The slightly hardened ink clogs flushed out, 50% the first time, 80% the next, etc. What sucks is that Epson wastes all your other colors of your ink doing this when only one color is clogged...

During my downtime I saw that Eric at BookSmart Studios will do a exhibit quality 11x14 on Baryta for $21. No fuss. Since my amount of printing is declining, I may never buy another "art" printer and stick to $100 disposables.

Funny how the simple, "turn it off, let it dry" tip was about 100 tips down on my searches and not anywhere on the Epson Tech Support site.

I used to own an Iris in the 90s (lots of expensive maintenance) and thought the Epsons were wonderful, especially the last couple models I've had. I still do when I look at this in perspective but we do get jaded when we're used to all this high tech working flawlessly 24-7-365.

Glad it worked out.

I figure it's at least $20 a small print with mine, may as well farm it out, but I do like how the Canon does B&W.

Now I am trying aftermarket inks and when it all goes to shit, I will add it to the landfill.

I really think wet prints are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    Hmm my previous HPs and Canons never won any loyalty from me... I think they all are built cheaply and are designed to waste expensive ink.

All is well now... sort of, kind of like how you feel after a beating stops and you're thankful it's over because it could have been worse. I used half a cart x 8 (plus one new one that was defective) so about $175 worth of ink down the tube. What I learned (a bit too late) is that repeated software head cleanings won't do any good ~ 3x is the limit. But what really worked best was for me to simply turn the printer off and let the pads/nozzles dry out for an hour or two, then do one nozzle clean, check, turn the printer off and repeat. The slightly hardened ink clogs flushed out, 50% the first time, 80% the next, etc. What sucks is that Epson wastes all your other colors of your ink doing this when only one color is clogged...

During my downtime I saw that Eric at BookSmart Studios will do a exhibit quality 11x14 on Baryta for $21. No fuss. Since my amount of printing is declining, I may never buy another "art" printer and stick to $100 disposables.

Funny how the simple, "turn it off, let it dry" tip was about 100 tips down on my searches and not anywhere on the Epson Tech Support site.

I used to own an Iris in the 90s (lots of expensive maintenance) and thought the Epsons were wonderful, especially the last couple models I've had. I still do when I look at this in perspective but we do get jaded when we're used to all this high tech working flawlessly 24-7-365.
    Tin Can

http://www.outac.com

hey,why not to get cleaning water for plugged head,two different ink mixed will meet plugged head.

Maybe I'm too late here, but when I had an Epson (before happily switching to Canon for the reasons noted above), I cleared bad clogs by removing the cart and squirting windex with a baby ear syringe through the nipple where the cart fed the jets, then leaving the syringe and windex there, hooked up, over night. That never failed to clear a clog, and I had some pretty bad ones.

good tips thanks! madarnton