Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long trips without a darkroom

Long trips without a darkroom

Readyloads are great for traveling (although more expensive), and if I shot 4x5, I'd use them. When shooting 8x10 B&W on a long trip, rather than using multiple film boxes or dividers, as I unload exposed film from holders and place in a film box, I clip off the tips of the corners of each film sheet in a pattern that tells me how to develop (no clip=N, right upper corner=N+1, right lower corner=N+2, left upper corner=N-1, etc.). When I get home, I can then sort the film in the dark by feeling the corners and develop appropriately.

Back in the day of film holders, my friend had a rig that allowed him to use the compressed air in his spare tire as a giant can of compressed air. No oil, no freon, no frozen splotches. It was a nice trick - he assembled it with a hose and fittings from an auto parts store.

But Readyloads really are so much easier and cleaner...

I prefer to travel with regular holders and boxes of film. Quickloads and Readyloads are bulkier than boxes of regular sheet film. I prefer a changing tent; however, if space is tight a changing bag works just fine. If you are carrying boxes of sheet film make sure to have a spare to show the security guys at the airport what they look like inside. To date I have only once had to xray my film. Luckily it didn't show any ill effects that I could see.

Organizing your film is definately a time to be anal. Instead of 25 sheet boxes I prefer the 100 sheet boxes from ilford. Perhaps this is because I shoot alot of film? I take notes and unload my holders in order. After shooting I label each holder with a little sticker that say E6, N, N-1, or N+1. I usually try to match the developing of each holder on both sides.

For my trip next week to yellowstone and glacier I am taking over 1000 sheets. Fedex mailers are ready to go to send the chromes to photocraft. The B&W sheets go in 100 sheet boxes labeled for the proper development. This trip will keep me in negatives for my winter printing sessions.

one thing to add... if there is a lab nearby that processes 4x5 film, they probably have a bunch of extra film boxes thay will give you.

On a recent trip I had 2 extra boxes with me and a changing bag. I labeled one box for B&W and the other for chrome. As I used up a box of fresh film, it would become the new storage for next box.

If you are using zone adjustments, I guess you could use a box for each adjuctment... just make sure to label each box.

Heres a big help: If you cant afford or find a changing tent, make sure you get the largest size changing bag you can find. The tents are very nice, but I dont think they are necasary (sp?).

Another hint: Double-check your exposure settings when switching from film to film. I have a numbe rof shots that are over/under exposed by 2 stops because I was swithing back-and forth between 400-speed BW and 100-speed Slide. I am just going to have to use all 100 speed from now on.

Readyloads and Quickloads have their attractions, but choice of film is not one of them, unless you shoot color 4x5" exclusively.

One more peice of advice... don't answer forum posts at 1:22 AM.