Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn Pastoral Scenes...

Autumn Pastoral Scenes...

That's what I'm looking for!
    Mechanized farming doesn't seem to lend it's self very well to photography---the emphasis shifts from the seasonal act of people outdoors gathering food to technology and power.
    What crops are still found harvested by hand (more or less) and where can I find them being harvested?
    There are still some farms that harvest olives by hand in my area, and citrus of course as well as some grapes. Hops farther North. I've been trying to hook up with a mussel fishery but so far no joy (I'm not sure how much of mussel harvesting is mechanized though)
    What about in your neighborhood?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: Autumn Pastoral Scenes...

We're right down to the wire in terms of photographs of the Drake's Bay oyster farm. Their lease ran out and the Park service want them out for good, and they've
    lost their court appeal. The heaps of oyster shells were interesting, as well as pilings in the estuary itself. Pt Reyes grandfathered in "historic dairy farms" when the
    park was established, and a "historic morgan horse ranch", but not the exotic game hunt club or the shellfish industry. There's was quite a commotion over there as
    all the white and fallow deer were exterminated, and now all the gourmet restaurants and locals are crying foul because this spells the end to fresh Calif oysters.
    It didn't help things when the Park director deliberately falsified water test results to make it appear the oysters were contaminating Drake's Estero, but that is a
    different case legally. I've got my share of shots anyway... and the estuary is remarkably beautiful either with or without the oyster business.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What crops are still found harvested by hand (more or less) and where can I find them being harvested? ...What about in your neighborhood?
    The ripe plums from our Seattle street-side trees are gathered in baskets next to the trunk.

Local products being gathered by local labor to serve local needs.

It’s astonishing how this makes everyone care about the tiny bit of soil, light, air, and water for each plum tree. (After all, we’re eating the fruit.) It’s even a recurring theme of conversation on the sidewalk. And this conversation, by creating personal ties, strengthens the local community even more...

The nearby Safeway is not happy about any of this.

Lots of Amish and Mennonite farmers in the Finger Lakes of New York. We also have several vineyards and at times certain varieties of grapes are harvested by hand.
    Just this past weekend we had racing at Watkins Glenn and Pro Golf in Rochester New York.
    I know I sound like a member of the chamber of commerce... believe I haven't any connection with that group of people.
    We are only a few weeks away from leaf peeping here in the northeast; so load up on color film and get yourself outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    We're right down to the wire in terms of photographs of the Drake's Bay oyster farm. Their lease ran out and the Park service want them out for good, and they've
    lost their court appeal. The heaps of oyster shells were interesting, as well as pilings in the estuary itself. Pt Reyes grandfathered in "historic dairy farms" when the
    park was established, and a "historic morgan horse ranch", but not the exotic game hunt club or the shellfish industry. There's was quite a commotion over there as
    all the white and fallow deer were exterminated, and now all the gourmet restaurants and locals are crying foul because this spells the end to fresh Calif oysters.
    It didn't help things when the Park director deliberately falsified water test results to make it appear the oysters were contaminating Drake's Estero, but that is a
    different case legally. I've got my share of shots anyway... and the estuary is remarkably beautiful either with or without the oyster business.
    Drew, I've already ask for permission to shoot at the Tomales Bay beds. I'm waiting for reply right now in fact! I'd like to pair that with the hops harvest in Sloughhouse if possible, but I don't know if that will work out (months with "R"s)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The California raisin crop is still mostly hand picked and picking season usually starts in September. 45% of the world raisin crop and 99.5% of the US crop is picked within a 60 mile radius of Fresno.

Thomas

Michigan blueberries with entire families including very young children, mostly migrant.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

John - that part of the world has some of its best light and least wind in Nov & Dec - plus that's when all the migrating birds are abundant along the shoreline. If
    you get over there make sure you pop into Marty Knapp's tiny little gallery at Pt Reyes Stn and say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The California raisin crop is still mostly hand picked and picking season usually starts in September. 45% of the world raisin crop and 99.5% of the US crop is picked within a 60 mile radius of Fresno.

Thomas
    Yes indeed it is!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

You might consider Amish and Mennonite communities, or perhaps a small farm run by a "living history" (historical re-enactment) group.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."