Thread: Gorlitz 10cm f/2?

Gorlitz 10cm f/2?

I came across a Korona View 5x7 for sale earlier. Nothing special, but it included 2 lenses, one of which I can't seem to find any information about. All I have to go on is the seller's description, and some photos, none of which show the lens close up, but good enough to tell that it's a big barrel lens mounted on what I assume is the board for the Korona. Has anyone seen or heard anything about this lens? Is it worth picking up? The camera has a 4x5 reducing back so I have to assume it at least covers that format but who knows.

Re: Gorlitz 10cm f/2?

Hugo Meyer Gorlitz, they made many fast lenses in the 1930's including an f1.5 a little longer than 10cm. If it was a Megon f2 10cm it's rather valuable.

Meyer made fast lenses for pre-WWII MF SLR's etc, it's likely from one of them.

Ian

It is indeed the Megon. Any idea if it comes close to covering 4x5?

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.goddard View Post
    I doubt that a 10 cm f2 lens would cover 4x5. However, it may be OK at Portrait distance on 4x5.

Yea, I didn't think so either, but someone had gone through the trouble of mounting it on a board and (presumably) using it with that 5x7 Korona. Thanks for the info though, I'll probably pick it up at this point just to satisfy my curiosity (and in the hopes that this lens is actually worth anywhere close to what one sold for on eBay recently...)

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.goddard View Post
    The 10cm f2 Megon was made for the Primaflex, made by Curt Bentzin, also of Gorlitz, there may be some variations as the cameras progressed from the pre-WWII models to post WWII versions, So it may be there were variations of the lens as well, they are rare outside Eastern Europe.

It's a MF lens covering 6x6.

Ian

Thanks again for the info, Ian. Can you give any kind of estimate of its worth or value? I imagine the demand is somewhat low, though as I mention, one did sell on eBay recently (the only other copy I've been able to find in my short time searching) for a ridiculous amount of money. I don't expect it's actually worth anywhere near that, though.

The value depends on the condition and exact version and whether there's a collector desperately looking for one. I have met fanatical collectors of rarer East German cameras, but there's not many worldwide.

Ian