Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An easy way to figure bellows factor

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

An easy way to figure bellows factor

I know there are several ways to do this but this one I read about works great and its easy for me and that is what counts someone else posted this in a thread on here someplace and im just reposting it for future searches by others, so cheers to the OP.

step 1: convert the mm of your lens to inches ex. 90mm lens is roughly 3 1/2 inches
    step 2: convert that to an f stop 3 1/2 inches is close to f4 the number 3 1/2 is close to the number 4 get it?
    step 3: when doing a close up measure from the lensboard (roughly) to the film plane ex. say its ten inches to the film plane convert that to an fstop which would be
    f11 (closest f stop to the number 10)
    step 4: figure the difference between the two fstops ex. between f4 and f11 3 stops
    step 5 add 3 stops of exposure

this of course will only work accurately if you don't use tilts
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Re: An easy way to figure bellows factor

It'll be close enough if you use tilts. When was the last time you tilted so much it was more than a few mm difference between the top and bottom of the lensboard?

I just calculate the bellows extensions that correspond to full 1/3-stop corrections. I make a table of those out to the maximum my camera can do and I stick that on the lensboard. Simply measure and choose the closest correction. I don't like doing math when I'm making a photograph.

Here's what is stuck to the lensboard of my 150mm caltar (with the formatting all messed up by the forum software):

150mm

+1/3 - 168mm
    +2/3 - 190mm
    +1 - 212mm
    +1 1/3 - 237mm
    +1 2/3 - 268mm
    +2 - 300mm
    +2 1/3 - 335mm
    +2 2/3 - 379mm
    +3 - 424mm
    +3 1/3 - 477mm
    +3 2/3 - 535mm

Say you measure your bellows for the current shot at 229mm, you'll see that 1-1/3 stops is the closest correction.
    -Chris

There's an app for that for $2.00. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/reci...459691262?mt=8 I like the way it that it works specifically for each brand of film and includes filter factors. It doesn't replace knowing how to do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I like the way it that it works specifically for each brand of film...
    Since when does bellows factor care about what film you're shooting?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I use that same method... Learned it from Bruce Barlow's manual. I just carry a big plastic ruler with the mm conversion of my lenses written on it.
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Since when does bellows factor care about what film you're shooting?

- Leigh
    I thought reciprocity failure varied with the film and that extended exposure due to bellows extension brought reciprocity failure into play. I'll leave that discussion to the know it alls.

yes it can definitely bring it into play depending on far you stop your lens down and how long your exposure is, I use ilford film which there failure starts at 1 sec. I normally use the delta and rate it at box speed, so usually I have to add time, found a really cool formula for figuring reciprocity for the ilford films,
    (1.7 x metered time) + (.12 x metered time squared) = corrected time. this has worked perfectly for me every time. for example if my metered time is 8 sec. 1.7 x 8=13.6 sec or just round it off to 14 sec. then .12 x 64=7.68 round it off to 8. add 14+8=22. 8 sec metered time is 22 sec corrected time.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    It'll be close enough if you use tilts. When was the last time you tilted so much it was more than a few mm difference between the top and bottom of the lensboard?

I just calculate the bellows extensions that correspond to full 1/3-stop corrections. I make a table of those out to the maximum my camera can do and I stick that on the lensboard. Simply measure and choose the closest correction. I don't like doing math when I'm making a photograph.

Here's what is stuck to the lensboard of my 150mm caltar (with the formatting all messed up by the forum software):

150mm

+1/3 - 168mm
    +2/3 - 190mm
    +1 - 212mm
    +1 1/3 - 237mm
    +1 2/3 - 268mm
    +2 - 300mm
    +2 1/3 - 335mm
    +2 2/3 - 379mm
    +3 - 424mm
    +3 1/3 - 477mm
    +3 2/3 - 535mm

Say you measure your bellows for the current shot at 229mm, you'll see that 1-1/3 stops is the closest correction.
    150 is a 6 inch lens so convert that to fstop 5.6 229mm is 9 inches plus a bit. so yes if you convert that to f9 the correct difference between 5.6 and f9 would be 1 1/3
    this type of math can be pretty much done in your head as long as you know that 25mm is an inch and one knows the f stop numbers. you can get the exposure really close using any lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    yes it can definitely bring it into play depending on far you stop your lens down and how long your exposure is, I use ilford film which there failure starts at 1 sec. I normally use the delta and rate it at box speed, so usually I have to add time, found a really cool formula for figuring reciprocity for the ilford films,
    (1.7 x metered time) + (.12 x metered time squared) = corrected time. this has worked perfectly for me every time. for example if my metered time is 8 sec. 1.7 x 8=13.6 sec or just round it off to 14 sec. then .12 x 64=7.68 round it off to 8. add 14+8=22. 8 sec metered time is 22 sec corrected time.
    Delta films reciprocity starts at 1/2 not 1 according to ilfords documents FYI

Thanks I always thought it started at 1sec.